Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraser family of London

Hello all

My 8xGrt Grandmother Christiana Fraser was born in St Botolph Bishopsgate London 1770 to parents William Fraser and Margaret ?.
    William Fraser died c1775 and Margaret remarried to Peter Pruden in Edmonton 1777.

Now I tried searching for a marriage between the parents around that area and could only find a marriage between a William Fraser to Margaret Ross in October 1770. Christiana was baptised February 1770.

I wonder how I can go about trying to confirm if this is the marriage of the parents or how I may find the marriage. I tried looking for other kids but cannot seem to find any siblings for her.

Any help would be welcomed.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

have you looked on www.familysearch.org Danny?

there seems to be quite a few children with William/Margaret as parents

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hiya Julie

Only the first 2 kids (Christian and Magdalen) can be kids to my Margaret and William as William died c1775 and Margaret remarried Peter Pruden.
      The problem is finding a way to confirm the marriage of William and Margaret. Someone did find this marriage which would fit for both girls - According to Ancestry's London Parish Registers there is a marriage on 30 September 1764 at St John Horselydown, Southwark of a William FRASER, bachelor and Margaret SHOTTEN, spinster, both of the parish. Witnesses: Daniel OAKLEY & Jno PUZEY

What do you think?

Danny

Comment

That looks more favourable than the first one you put up Dan. what year was Magdalen born again?
        Julie

Comment

Magdalen was born in 1766 and died in 1770 the same year my Christian was born.

Danny

Comment

sorry I have just remembered that it was 1770 same as Christian(a) seems abit of a long time though from 1864 to 1770 to not have more children? or even from 1770-1775 seems abit odd, dont you think?
            Julie

Comment

sorry apologies!! not reading what was infront of me!! I see now that Magalen died in 1770! duh! still abit of a long time to go for the next child though
              Julie

Comment

It may (or may not!) be significant that Margaret Shotten signed the register, but Margaret Fraser made her mark. I was hoping there might be a witness in common between the two marriages, but no such luck!

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

So it looks like they married 1764 and had first child 1766 then second child 1770 and then William died c1775. Margaret remarried 1777 to Peter Pruden and had another child 1778.
                  At least it's starting to look possible it is the same couple.

Danny

Comment

There was a marriage between a Margaret Ross and William Fraser in October 1770 but I cannot view the marriage. Perhaps the writing is similar.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                      So it looks like they married 1764 and had first child 1766 then second child 1770 and then William died c1775. Margaret remarried 1777 to Peter Pruden and had another child 1778.
                      At least it's starting to look possible it is the same couple.

Danny
                      hmmn, you need to be careful though, these are baptism dates and not dates of birth, so in theory Christian(a) could have been anywhere between 1m and 2 years when baptised
                      Julie

Comment

I have Christian's death cert under her married name and it states she was aged 74 and died in 1844. It would suggest that 1770 was the year she was born. Well there or there about's depending on how accurate her informant was.

Danny

Comment

did they live in King Harry Yard? Danny
                          Julie

Comment

Here's the Margaret Ross marriage:

MarrgaretRoss-marriage.jpg

scuda
                            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Did who live in King Harry Yard? William and Margaret or Christiana when she died?

Danny

Comment

Thank you Scuda, that's much appreciated.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                                  Here's the Margaret Ross marriage:

[ATTACH]15335[/ATTACH]

scuda
                                  gawd blinkin eck Scuda!! that spider mustve bin blimmin BIG!! lol!

Can you decypher the witness name of ROSS? I can see the Mcleod below it..
                                  Julie

Comment

And the Margaret Fraser marriage for anyone who wants to compare it:

MargaretFraser-marriage.jpg

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                                      Did who live in King Harry Yard? William and Margaret or Christiana when she died?

Danny
                                      any.. ideally the family.. I found a burial for a Margt Fraser, daug of william but it gives the address as King Harry Yard..
                                      Julie

Comment

Can you decypher the witness name of ROSS?
                                        Mary Ross, I think.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                        X