Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

burial details for my grandmother's aunt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burial details for my grandmother's aunt ?

My Louisa Davies died february 1917 at Prestwich aged 50. I found an entry in the NBI for a Louisa Davies for that year but the place of burial is Bowdon Cheshire. I was wondering if someone could have a look and see if her age is given and any other details which might help me work out if she is mine. Her husband was George Henry Davies and he would have died after 1917. He was born 1861.

Louisa's parents ,my gt gt grandparents,Edward and Harriett Bellhouse are buried at Bowdon but I've seen the grave and Louisa isn't on the stone.

Thanks for looking

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

her age is given as 50 years.. 10th Feb 1917 St Marys, Bowden
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

nothing showing for George Henry though..
      Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie
        so she could be mine but I wonder if she's in a grave on her own then ? There would have been room with her parents I think as in their grave there's just them and their married son who died in 1900. Or at least the 3 of them have their names on the stone.Not sure how they afforded the grave/and stone though as I don't think that branch of the Bellhouse family had money!

My gt gt grandfather Edward Bellhouse is descended from the family of the David Bellhouse who built much of Manchester but Edward seems to have led a humble life from what I've found.

Louisa was my gt grandmother's sister and seems to have been the one who looked after everybody else!

Liz

Comment

I can understand your being unsure Liz. The age given is at least a couple of years out isn't it? I see that she was registered in Sept quarter of 1863. She would have been 31/32 when she got married to George in Sept 1895 though. Have you seen the marriage cert? I wonder if she knocked a couple of years off?
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 31-01-11, 19:59.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If it were me, I would contact whoever has the interment books for St Marys.. and query Louisa with them, the date I gave 10th feb should be the burial date.
            Julie

Comment

In 1901 George Henry gives his place of birth as Urmston Lancashire. Are you sure that he was born in 1861 Liz? The most likely birth that fits is Sept quarter 1860 - Chorlton (Chorlton covers Urmston).

I wonder if he moved to Wolverhampton - Staffordshire for any reason. The nearest death I could find for his age after 1917 is there in 1946 aged 87. Do you know if any of his children perhaps moved there? Have you followed Frederick or Edith E?

Comment

No Chrissie I haven't got her marriage cert but she was being creative with her age from the 1901 and 1911 censuses where she gives her age as 33 and 44. She was baptised 18/5/64 and born in 1863. I do have her death certificate,she died 6/2/1917 and her age on the cert is 50 with the informant being her husband George Henry. I presume when they married in 1895 she said she was 27 knocking 5 years off her actual age and that's what George believed !

I think then this Louisa at Bowdon is very likely to be her but I'm puzzled about where George is and I'm struggling to find his death,Davies is such a common name !!
                I've rechecked the 1911 census and she and George had 3 children but only one was still alive in 1911 ,Edith Ellen aged 13.I wonder if their 2 dead children were also at Bowdon and she went in with them ? I'm also surprized that Louisa, if it is her, is buried at Bowdon Cheshire when she and George lived at Newton Heath Manchester. I know this wouldnt be an issue these days but in 1917 surely it was unusual especially for ordinary people?

As I live only a couple of miles from Bowdon I think I must go and struggle round the graveyard!!!

Liz

Comment

if she was buried in a paupers grave there might not be a stone?

who was Fredericks mother? was it louisa? if so were they living as man and wife when Fred was born? on the 1901 it says that fred is 9, but if they married in 1895 then somethings amiss somewhere..
                  Julie

Comment

perhaps Louisa went to stay with relatives.. praps they were looking after her if she was ill?

I have had a look for Frederick on NBI and nothing is showing.. in Bowdon
                    Julie

Comment

thanks Julie
                      Frederick was George's son from his first marriage to Martha (? )in 1885.In 1891 they were living at Harpurhey with son William. I think Martha died in 1893 at Prestwich probably when Frederick was born.Don't know what happened to William though.

Louisa died of acute bronchitis and cardiac dilation I think it says on the cert,bit difficult to read the word after cardiac.Don't know if this would make her an invalid in the time before her death or if it was a sudden onset illness like flu or something.Place of death is hers and George's home address at Newton Heath,Miles Platting UDC.

lIZ

Comment

Have you tried e-mailing the cemetary at Bowden Liz to tell them your query and ask if they have records?
                        I have found graves that I know for a fact contain other members of the family but they aren't on the headstone.

By the way, it will be cardiac dilation on the cert. It is an enlargement of the heart caused by dilation in one or more of the chambers of the heart. It doesn't help you much though as it can be caused by various things. Some could have made her ill earlier but one for instance (hypertention) she may not have been aware of, especially in those days.

Comment

thanks Chrissie
                          I will contact the church and see if they can help.Also thanks for the info on Louisa's cause of death. I think the flu epidemic was more 1918 at the end of WW1 so I suppose it could be that the heart problem caused the bronchitis attack which killed her.

Liz

Comment

Working...
                          X