Italian help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian help please

has anybody any experience of Italian research? My 3 x great-grandfather was a Dominic Stampa who was born around 1763 in Italy. He later migrated to Edinburgh where he was a very successfull Printer Seller, Gilder, Carver and Baromter maker. How would I go about trying to find his origins in Italy, is it possible??? Any help as always appreciated. Thanks
    Paul
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Hiya Paul....on www.geneanet.org
    1668 Lombardia , Milano Italy.....
    1499 Genova ,Italy
    1768 Argenio ,Italy
    1816 Bergamo,Lombardia,Italy
    1662 Casaretto, Italy
    1494 Cinisello Balsamo,Lombardia, Italy....lol...I have found another 20 or so family trees of Stampa in Italy ...the vast majority are from LOMBARDIA....
    anyway...geneanet is a free site for SOME research , and pay per view on some of the site....you can join for free AND get familytree holders e-mail addresses
    good luck
    allan
    ps just put the name stampa and leave the place box empty and then click search
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Unless you know the parish he came from, it's practically impossible - there are no central records, and there's hardly anything online for Italy. Italy wasn't even unified till the 1860s. How do you know he was born in Italy? Is he in the 1851 census?

Comment

He's not in the Alien Arrivals database on Ancestry, but it only covers 1810-1811 and 1826-1869:

I see the 1841 Scottish census says he was born in "foreign parts".

If he was Italian, his original Christian name would have been Domenico.

Comment

Scotlandspeople seems to have a death for him in 1848; can't see a marriage.

Do you have his death cert? I think Scottish ones give parents' names, but I'm not sure if it'd give his birthplace.

Comment

There only seem to be two items for him in the Scottish National Archives Catalogue, but they don't help with his origins. Looks as if he was insolvent and was made to hand over goods to his creditors.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-01-11, 19:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Scotlandspeople seems to have a death for him in 1848; can't see a marriage.

Do you have his death cert? I think Scottish ones give parents' names, but I'm not sure if it'd give his birthplace.
              Unfortunately civil registration in Scotland only began in 1855, so whatever is on SP will probably be an "old parochial record" (OPR).
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh sorry, I'd forgotten that. I suppose they're similar to English PRs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  Oh sorry, I'd forgotten that. I suppose they're similar to English PRs?
                  Yes, in that the amount of information varies wildly!
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

sorry for late reply, but thanks for all the information and help as always - I had not seen the geneanet site before. Thanks for the debt info as well, had not seen that before, but confirms his trade occupation etc. can also confirm on some of his childrens birth details his name is listed as Domenico. I shall pursue the Lombardia connection as well with interest - bit dissappointed to here about the lack of central records, but I suppose we must count ourselves lucky here.

thanks again everyone, fair bit for me to follow up now

Comment

I wouldn't pin all your hopes on Lombardy, I'm afraid.

This site shows the distribution of surnames in Italy; I suspect it's based on the current phone book, as my (typically Irish) surname's included, but it goes give at least a rough idea, and there are Stampas all over the place.

Origine, etimologia, curiosita' sui nomi; diffusione e distribuzione dei cognomi in Italia attraverso mappe colorate e zoom sulle regioni. Ricerche genealogiche, storie di emigranti, documenti per la cittadinanza italiana, folkore, tradizioni e risorse regionali, musica tradizionale, musica e canti popolari, musica delle regioni italiane

Enter the surname in the cognome (surname) box.

There are a few records for Como on Ancestry, but nothing for Stampa of the right period. There's also another Como website with a few PRs, but no Stampas.

Comment

great thanks mary that will help, sounds like unfortunately its a bit of a common name typical

Comment

I know the danger of near matches, but there was a "Domenico Antonio Luigi Stampa" born 10.10.1763 in Argegno, Lombardy, Italy.
                          Parents: Ercole Stampa, son of Giovanni Battista, and 'Maria Lorenza' Pirola, daughter of Domenico Pirola.
                          This Domenico Stampa married Camilla Zucchi, daughter of Francesco Zucchi.
                          They had a son Ercole Francesco Stampa born 06.10.1796 in Argegno.
                          Please let me know if this could be your ancestor. I have been looking for the origin of my ancestor Augustin Stampa (born ~1720) for many years without success.

Comment

many thanks for this reply, sorry only just spotted it, I will look into this, it definitely looks a possibility. many thanks
                            paul

Comment

Working...
                            X