OMG... what have I done to my FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG... what have I done to my FTM

I've been 'cleaning up' my family tree maker and I've ended up making everyone on it unrelated to me..... even my own son!!!

Can some one tell me what I did wrong and show me how to get my relationships back.

I've tried the help index on the FTM but it wasn't helping

Im so worried I'm going to loose my work (relationships to my people) as it automatically save when I close the programme.

When you look at yourself in the family layout, are you on your own or can you see your parents/children?

By the way, which version of FTM are you using?
    Elaine

Comment

I think I am using the 2008 version.... at least I brought the latest version in 2008

In family view I can see myself as 'home person' and all my family. The only one the FTM says I'm related to is my husband. For every one else it says 'No direct relationship found'.

Comment

I've got the 2006, 2010 and 2011 versions on my computer!

First thing to do is to make a BACKUP of what you have now, before you start fiddling any more!
        FILE / BACK UP

I´ll be back in a minute with some suggestions of what you can do. Just need to check what the instructions might be on the 2008 version.
        Elaine

Comment

~Thank you Elaine.

Back up made.....

Comment

OK - first thing to try!
            I would suggest you formerly detach yourself from all relationships on the tree. So with the cursor on your name, on the Person menu select Attach/Detach Person, then select Detach Selected Person. This will detach you from your husband and should leave you "orphaned" - that is not attached to anyone.

I would then check on whether the relationships for your children are OK- check their relationships with their father, grandparents etc. to see if they are still in tact.

If all other relationships seem OK then try to attach yourself back into the tree. Click on one of your children, go to the Person menu, select Attach/Detach Person, then select Attach mother. This should then bring up the index of individuals, select your name and attach yourself back into the tree. I'm not sure about 2008 but on the later versions it gives you various options/sets of names, e.g. do you just want to be the mother of the child, do you want to be wife to the husband as well etc.

Without seeing the 2008 version in front of me it's difficult to remember what it did (and what it didn't do!) but I think these instructions are much the same in all recent versions.

Let me know if it doesn´t work ... and don´t panic - as long as you haven´t deleted anyone then the relationships can be fixed somehow!
            Elaine

Comment

It doesn't seem to have worked....

If I am in family view ( were the ancestors are listed) I am not related to any one other than my husband.

But if I open my self it in the person view (were all you info is) I can see my relationships with children, husband, mum and Dad.

I put another person as 'home person' and they had the same problem... so could it be just in 'family' viewing where the problem lays?

I cant understand what I did wrong for it to not show my relationships in family view.....

Comment

Difficult to visualise without having it in front of you!
                Have sent you a PM.
                Elaine

Comment

It seems to have worked..... THANK YOU SO VERY, VERY MUCH.

I now have the biggest headache.... but I think I know how to handle that one ..lol

Again, thank you. I was so worried. a lesson to us all. BACK UP and save your stress.

xxx Tralena xxx

Comment

Glad you managed to sort it.
                    Elaine

Comment

No, I just went into panic mode.... you helped sort it. and I'm really grateful.

Comment

Working...
                      X