English/Welsh lookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English/Welsh lookup?

Can anyone help me with this. Looking for the birth of Margaret Davis or O'donnell in England or Wales in 1913. Margaret was baptised on 05/07/1913 in Buncrana, Donegal or so I have been told by another relative. Her mother was Catherine Davis (Domestic Servant) who married Charles O'donnell on 27/01/1916 in St. Eugene RC Cathedral, Derry, Ireland.
    No birth cert, for Margaret can be found in Ireland and her mother is not on the 1911 census. Maggie (Margaret) always told us that she came over to Scotland as a very young child. As we cannot find a birth cert. or her mother in 1911 the thought is that she was born in the UK and went back to be baptised? I've had a look on ScotlandsPeolple with no success.
    Any help would be great.

Hi Bearger

You can look for yourself free on www.freebmd.org.uk but as you don't know if Margaret was born in England or Wales, don't know which month, or whether she was Davis or O'Donnell, it could be difficult to find her. There are dozens of Margaret Davises born 1913.

This, however, is the only one where Davis is given as the mother's maiden name too:

DAVIS Margaret Davis 1914 Mar Scarbro' 9d p.730

If Margaret was born Dec 1913 she could have been registered in the first quarter of 1914. Doesn't her baptism record give her birthdate?
    Last edited by Little Nell; 30-01-11, 12:24.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      Hi Bearger

You can look for yourself free on www.freebmd.org.uk but as you don't know if Margaret was born in England or Wales, don't know which month, or whether she was Davis or O'Donnell, it could be difficult to find her. There are dozens of Margaret Davises born 1913.

This, however, is the only one where Davis is given as the mother's maiden name too:

DAVIS Margaret Davis 1914 Mar Scarbro' 9d p.730

If Margaret was born Dec 1913 she could have been registered in the first quarter of 1914. Doesn't her baptism record give her birthdate?
      Thanks, did not realise that all English and Welsh births were on freebmd. Will have a look.

Comment

Just been sent the following: Diocese of Derry Parish of Fahan, Margaret Davis born 05/07/1913 baptised 05/07/1913, Name of parents Catherine Davis. address Magherabeg, Name of sponsor: Mrs J Hannigan, Officiating Clergyman: Rev. M. Sheerin, From the baptismal records of St. Muras Church, Fahan, Co. Donegal.
        Now I'm confused born and baptised on the same day?

Comment

Working...
        X