Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Barrett & Lucy...help needed please

Hi all,

I'm looking for a marriage between John Barrett & Lucy (don't know her surname). All I know from the trancribed parish records I have is they had children in Exton Rutland England but I can't seem to find a marriage for them anywhere & don't know where either of them came from. John was buried in Exton in 1794, their first child was born in 1770 in exton....can anyone help with this brick wall please. Many thanks

Last edited by jadzia; 03-02-11, 22:40. Reason: Added a bit
    Ness

there is a baptism of a John Barrett at Uppingham, Rutland on www.familysearch.org

see if this link works

he should be the first on the list.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oops forgot i'd posted this :o

Thank you Julie, I followed the link....That’s interesting it also throws up another possibility: John Barrett bap: 06 Mar 1737 Uppingham. Father’s name: Christopher Barrett.

John Barrett was the father of my 5th G.Grandmother Susannah, One Ancestry tree has the same John Barrett as born in 1737 in Manton & his father as Christopher Barrett so I thought i’d check him out, but I have the Manton Transcribed Parish Records & the John barrett born in Manton’s parents are John/Elizabeth. I don’t have the Uppingham Parish records so can’t check that out yet. Other ancestry trees have John Barrett 1737 Manton with no father listed but they may have just copied from each other, I don't know.

So far it looks like my options are:
      John Barrett bap: 12 Jun 1735 Uppingham, Rutland. Father: Edward Barrett.
      John Barrett bap: 06 Mar 1737 Uppingham. Father’s name: Christopher Barrett.
      John Barrett bap: 18 Oct 1737 Manton, Rutland. S/O John & Elizabeth.

Any ideas how I can narrow it down as I still can’t find a marriage for John & Lucy?...I thought if I could find their marriage it may give me a clue where John & Lucy were born & a maiden name for Lucy. Thanks all

Ness

Comment

there are this lot:

when was John/lucys first child born.. this might be an indicator as to when they married.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie, Thank you for the link. Their first child was baptised in 1770 in exton Rutland
          Last edited by jadzia; 09-02-11, 01:47. Reason: Added a bit
          Ness

Comment

I have found the following marriage, I wonder if this is them. I can’t find any other marriage for a John & Lucy for around the correct time period....

John Barrett & Lucy Pullyn, marr: 01 Apr 1767, Leiston, Suffolk, England. Grooms parents: Isaac Barrett, Hannah Barrett. Brides parents: Richard Pullyn & Jane Pullyn.

I have also found the following: John Barrett & Lucy Pullyn, marr: 1767 Colchester Quakers-Nc, Colchester, Essex, England.

These appear to be the same people but why would they have two marriages in different places? Or is that just something Quakers do? I’ve never come across quakers before so don’t know much about them. I wonder if it would say on the parish records where they came from etc?

Ness

Comment

Is it something to do with non-con marriages not being valid in law at the time? So there would be a CofE ceremony to satisfy the law and a Quaker ceremony to satisfy their religious beliefs.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

No, that's not the explanation as Quakers (along with Jews) have always been permitted to perform their own marriages which are considered valid by the established church and by the civil authorities.

It isan't necessarily two diffrent marriages in two different places, it might be one marriage RECORDED in two different places. It may have taken place in Leiston and been recorded in the Quaker records which were kept at Colchester.

This quite often happens in all sorts of small churches where an official might have to travel miles to perform a marriage but who recorded the event in his central registers.

OC

Comment

As both sets of parents were named in the Leiston reference (quite unusual for this time span) I would think the record was probably made at a Quaker event. These were often recorded in circuit books and so modern transcribing and indexing sometimes results in 2 records - one under the place name of where the event took place, a second one under the name of the circuit or central record.

A member of my Norfolk Quaker family married a Pullyn/Pulleyn/Pullen from Beccles. These Pullyns were Quakers and were in both Suffolk & Norfolk. The Quaker records were very detailed and bear in mind that births were recorded, not baptisms.
                  One of the subscription sites has Quaker records. It might be worth your while exploring the free index to see if you think it would be useful to get some credits.
                  (Can't remember the name - it's the S&N genealogy one, I think.)

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you all for your help & information....

Did quakers live close together in a group? & if so, how likely was it that John & Lucy would have moved to Exton Rutland to have their children? I’m wondering if I have the correct John & Lucy but I can’t find any other John Barrett & Lucy marriage anywhere else in the correct time frame.

Ness

Comment

Working...
                    X