Help needed with Hulberts of Chippenham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Hulberts of Chippenham

I'm looking for confirmation of the births of a family of Hulberts I've found in 1851 and 1861.

In 1851 the family is at St. James Parade, Bath:
    Alfred, 35 b. Chippenham, painter and glazier
    Mary, 31 b. Chippenham, dressmaker
    Francis 10, Richard 9 b. Chippenham
    Maria 5, Mary 2 b. Bath

In 1861 the family is at 11 Lower Boro Walls, Bath
    Alfred, 45 b. Chippenham, painter and glazier
    Mary, 42 b. Chippenham, dressmaker
    Richard A, 19 b. Chippenham, painter and glazier
    Mary 12, Thomas 8, Caroline 6, Henry 2 all b. Bath

By 1861 I think Francis is in the army because I've found his first marriage (of 4) in India, as well as the birth of his daughter Ada.

In 1881 Richard (house painter) and wife Rebecca are in St. Pancras, London.
    On 10 Oct. 1891 Francis, his second wife Mary Ann, Richard and Rebecca are witnesses at Ada's marriage to John Rae at St. Stephen, Tredegar Road, Bow.

So the family is all nicely linked together. But the only birth I can find for Francis is one in Kensington in 1840, which is clearly the wrong one. I can't find any Chippenham births for any of Alfred and Mary's children.

Any ideas please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

UJ

they may just not have been registered. There was no penalty at that time.

However, usually with mine, if they wren't registered, they WERE baptised so maybe look for baptisms.

OC

Comment

There's a Richard Alfred Hulbert in Chippenham Q/E June 1842 which looks good, especially given that his father was Alfred and he has a middle initial A on the 1861
      Jackie

Comment

I wonder whether the marriage you found is the same family as the Chippenham ones? In 1891 there is a Francis R Hulbert born c 1841 London Oxford St who is a licenced victualler living with his 22 year old daughter Ada who was born in India. That looks like it could be the same Francis who was registered in 1840 and ties in with the marriage of Ada in 1892.

There is a birth registration for Francis Thomas Charles Golding Hulbert in Chippenham in Q/E Dec 1841. He then died in Q/E June 1842 in Chippenham.
        Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
          There's a Richard Alfred Hulbert in Chippenham Q/E June 1842 which looks good, especially given that his father was Alfred and he has a middle initial A on the 1861
          Looks good to me.

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
          I wonder whether the marriage you found is the same family as the Chippenham ones? In 1891 there is a Francis R Hulbert born c 1841 London Oxford St who is a licenced victualler living with his 22 year old daughter Ada who was born in India. That looks like it could be the same Francis who was registered in 1840 and ties in with the marriage of Ada in 1892.
          That's my man. And I had him happily linked to the q2 1840 birth in Paddington until I discovered the Chippenham connection.

There is a birth registration for Francis Thomas Charles Golding Hulbert in Chippenham in Q/E Dec 1841. He then died in Q/E June 1842 in Chippenham.
          Seems unlikely to be the right one, given that there's a Francis in the family aged 10 in 1851 and (sorry, got it inside out) Alfred and Richard were witnesses to Francis Richard's second marriage to Mary Ann.

I've looked on the Familysearch new site for baptisms but not found any.
          Last edited by Uncle John; 30-01-11, 16:08. Reason: corrected information

Comment

The IGI throws some light on it. There's a submitted record for Richard in 1842 with the right parents - not a lot of use. But the 2 Francis Hulberts (1840 and 1845) are extracted records with the wrong parents, so definitely eliminated.

Comment

Cracked it, sort of. Using the "follow all interesting leads until they peter out" method, I've traced father Alfred down through the censuses. He stays in the same area of Bath from one census to the next. And in 1891, as a widower of 75, he's got nearly all his grown-up children with him, including Frank and Richard both born London. I did buy Richard's birth certificate three years ago, but it went in auntie's 90th. birthday present family tree album and I didn't have a scanner then.

Comment

Working...
              X