New Branch of family help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Branch of family help please

Hi through help from the forum members I am waiting on a certificate for my Ward family. However when I received the marriage of William Ward I found out a new Branch - Wood.

William Ward married an Elizabeth Wood in West Ham on September 16th 1869. Elizabeth's father is named as Samuel Wood occupation Brick Maker. I have all the Ward's in censuses before and after but wondered if anyone can help me find some census information on the Wood family - primarily before they married so 1861 and earlier.

I also wondered if anyone can help to find Elizabeth's birth. She was 19 when she married so that would place her birth around 1850. On the 1871 census when she is married her age is 22 so again places her birth around 1849/1850. Her place of birth is given as Stratford, West Ham.

Bascially just looking to see what I can find out about the Wood's. Unfortunately my Ancestry membership ran out just after Xmas and I am looking on FreeBMD and FreeCen but no luck so far. Would really like to see the original census information on the family if possible.

As always many thanks in advance

Steven

Sorry Steven

I'm not having any luck at all finding a birth, baptism or 1851 or 1861 census entries.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell been on FreeBmd and FreeCen for hours and no luck

Steven

Comment

Hi I looked out some more information I had printed and on the 1881 census Elizabeths age is 32 so approximate date of birth still seems ok but place of birth is given as Romford Essex instead of Stratford Essex. Wasn't sure if this would help

Steven

Comment

Sorry about the earlier red herring - I had a look at freebmd under Romford and I found a birth on June 1849 volume 12 page 235 - do you think this could be her? Hope I haven't wasted anyone's time. Cannot find any census information

Steven
          Last edited by stevie2006; 29-01-11, 21:02.

Comment

Samuel 30 Labourer b. Epping
            Eliza wife 29 b. Romford
            Charlott Elizabeth 8
            Maryann 6
            Elizabeth 4
            Maria Matilda 2
            Children all born Romford
            Living Harolds Hill (I think!)

Comment

Thanks Carol that looks a good bet - Elizabeth's age is a wee bit out but I always expect that. I think I might order the birth certificate for Elizabeth and then that will give me the parents names

Steven

Comment

Samuel 40 Labourer b. Epping
                Lucy wife 37 Needlewoman b. Romford
                Elizabeth 13
                Matilda 11
                Henrietta 8
                Mary Ann 6
                Children all born Romford
                Living Factory Road, Romford

Comment

Thanks Carol really appreciate your help

Steven

Comment

Family after Elizabeth married
                    Samuel 48 Labourer b. Epping
                    Lucy wife 46 b. Romford
                    Henrietta 18
                    Mary Ann 16
                    Children born Romford
                    Plus lodger also born Romford
                    Living 36 Pleasant Place, Stratford (West Ham dist)
                    Last edited by Carol Bird; 30-01-11, 14:48.

Comment

Thanks Carol really appreciated. I wonder what the connection with Manchester is? The strange thing is that Elizabeth and her husband William lived there for a spell as one of their children was born in Manchester. Do you have the name of the lodger and age by any chance?

Regards

Steven

Comment

so it looks like Samuels 1st wife Elizabeth died and he remarried to a Lucy?
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Steven,

Sorry, my eye went to next line. Emily Rotan (as transcribed - looks more like a capital N to me) born Romford as well.

Carol

Comment

There is a death for an Eliza Wood July 1853 in Epping and
                            an Eliza Wood Jan 1858 in West Ham.

Carol

Comment

Thanks for all your help Carol

Julie had no idea Samuel remarried - when was it could I ask?

Always good to have a new Branch to investigate!!!!

Steven

PS How stupid am I it's in the census the fact that Samuel had a new wife!!! 10 out of 10 for observation for me.....not!!!
                              Last edited by stevie2006; 29-01-11, 23:24.

Comment

Sorry folks for being so thick this evening - will take my time..... and read things over

Birth certificate ordered for Elizabeth - fingers crossed its right

Steven
                                Last edited by stevie2006; 29-01-11, 23:37.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                  Thanks for all your help Carol

Julie had no idea Samuel remarried - when was it could I ask?

Always good to have a new Branch to investigate!!!!

Steven

PS How stupid am I it's in the census the fact that Samuel had a new wife!!! 10 out of 10 for observation for me.....not!!!
                                  dont worry about it Ste, we all have 'senior moments' :smilee: *runs off fred*
                                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    so it looks like Samuels 1st wife Elizabeth died and he remarried to a Lucy?
                                    I think the 1851 census wife's name Eliza may have been a mistake by family or enumerator. There is a marriage Sep 1842 [Vol 12 p321*] for Samuel Wood to Lucy Foster in Romford, in good time for Charlotte's birth in 1843.

Cannot find a married Samuel Wood in 1841.

Although there are Eliza Woods dying between 1851 and 1861, could not find a Samuel Wood and Lucy marriage in those years.

Carol
                                    *the other couple on this ref (James Wheatley & Sarah Ann) are living Barking in 1851.
                                    Last edited by Carol Bird; 30-01-11, 15:13.

Comment

One of those days Julie

Carol thanks again - Lucy Foster could be a possibility

Steven

Comment

hmmn well, once you get Elizabeth birth cert we should have her mums maiden name :smilee: so thats a positive.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X