The will I ordered still hasn't arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The will I ordered still hasn't arrived

Cheque was cashed 10th January and still no sign yet..anyone got any idea how long it takes?

Linda

It used to take a few weeks before the probate reg went onto Ancestry - they must be inundated now!

Comment

Hi Trina.

Yes I thought might be the case. Oh well at least I was lucky enough to find my Great Grandad's will on there...just have to be patient.

Linda

Comment

It can take ages! I usually take comfort from the fact that the cheque has been cashed so at least they are doing something!

Anne

Comment

Hi Linda, hope it arrives soon, as I know the waiting is awful
          I ordered two wills in December and was amazed they both arrived a week after sending off the letter. Even one that wasn't on the probate calendar only took two weeks and I really expected them to return that cheque.

Comment

Yes that's what I thought Ann.

I'm going to wait and see what the info. is and then may send for another

Linda

Comment

my last one took about 6 weeks ? thought they may have lost it ? Next time try and order from the local office I believe its a lot quicker.

Comment

Thanks Val,

Will do that with the next one

Linda

Comment

Bev Nicholes
                  you say you got a will that wasn't on the probate calendar. How does that work?
                  I thought they were all on the calendar.

June

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
                    Bev Nicholes
                    you say you got a will that wasn't on the probate calendar. How does that work?
                    I thought they were all on the calendar.

June
                    They are all on the calendar, June, BUT not all the calendar is on Ancestry! There are some early ones missing and some data in 1910 (plus others I'm sure). Also Ancestry's list only goes up to 1941 but the Probate calendar actually exists for every year from 1858 (presume the last one is for 2010 or maybe still 2009) but you can't access it on line. If you know there could have been a will you can request a search giving a year of death, they will search for a few years from that date and the price is still the same. A will is a public document and anyone can request a copy right up to the present day.

Anne

Comment

Sorry its all new to me as I'd never ordered a will before, yes Anne's right, I meant it wasn't on Ancestry as it was in 1910. I ordered all mine through my local court office, and it was so quick and so easy I wished I'd done it sooner LOL

Bev

Comment

Thanks for your replies Bev and Anne. I know Ancestry have got some gaps but I assumed every will would be on the calendar held at the probate office.

However I didn't know you could ask them to do a search if you thought there should be a will.

Do you still pay if they do a search but don't find one?

June

Comment

Yes, I believe the fee is £5 whether or not they find anything. Still a bargain compared to certificates though!

Anne

Comment

Thanks for your reply Anne.
                            I agree it is a bargain.

June

Comment

I ordered 4 wills from the Birmingham Office on the 1st of October, the cheque was cashed on the 7th but I had not received anything by the middle of December so I phoned to chase it up and was told they had lost the paperwork, I had to give the names, date and place of the 4 wills. That was on a Monday and I received them on the Wednesday. The first order never turned up. I would suggest you phone the office you ordered from and have the details of your order handy so that you can read it out, and also the date the cheque was cashed.

Mary

Comment

Just phoned them and they said due to an increase in demand it's taking 21 working days from the date of cheque being cashed.

So at least I know

Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X