X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills

Hi all,
    A few questions!
    probably a really stupid question- if probate was granted does that mean there was a will?

What information do i need to order a will from before 1941?

Is it possible to get a will from after 1941, and if so how do i go about it?- can you search for them online?

thanks
    gemma

Yes, there will be a will if probate was granted.

Ancestry has the indexes up to 1941, post 1941 they are not online but you can search in some county record offices for ones after that or in person at the High Holborn office in London. postal searches can be done if you know the date of death, they will do a search for 5 years from the date of death & send the will for £5.

Comment

If probate was granted then, yes there was a will.

You can get copies of all wills post 1858 from York Probate Office, or any Probate Office.

If you look on the Courts Service website you can download the form you need to complete & send off with your fiver.
      Last edited by JayG; 28-01-11, 22:29.
      Jay

Comment

This section may be useful to you: http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ls-and-Probate

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thankyou all, answered all my questions in an hour and a half!!!

gemma

Comment

Working...
          X