Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to trace George Smith

Hi,

I have posted for help with this before but I was hoping someone may have som new ideas on how I can trace my 3x grt Grandfather George Smith further back.

George Smith married my 3x grt Grandmother Emma Stevens December 1917 at Nottingham registry office. The details for George from the marriage cert are:

George Smith, widdower, aged 45, coal miner, living in Lenton Notts, father: John Smith deceased general labourer.

The witnesses were Arthur Goulding and Florence Shaw. I have tried to see if either of the witnesses were a relation to George but I can't seem to find any connection. There is a Florence Smith born 1878 Hickling Notts, who married a Joseph Shaw. Florence's family are living in Lenton Notts on the 1901/1911 census. I can't find any connection between Florence and George.

I know from older relatives that George had 2 sons from a previous marriage, John George (Jack) and Walter, but unfortunately they don't know how old they were.

On the 1911 there is a George Smith born 1875 Notts with wife Annie and sons Walter aged 6, Jack aged 4 and George aged 2. George's occupation is a collier (Butty) at Radford colliery.

Annie was born 1875 Shardlow derbyshire and the 1911 states they had been married 12 years, had 5 children and 2 had died.

I can't find a possible for Annie and George on the 1901.

Any help or advice would be truly appreciated.

Kelly.

How about this one:-

Class: RG13; Piece: 3180; Folio: 101; Page: 21.

And this marriage:-

Marriages Sep 1900 (>99%)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barlow Ernest Nottingham 7b 625
    Heathcote Lily Nottingham 7b 625
    Smith George Nottingham 7b 625
    Thrall Annie Nottingham 7b 625
    Glen

Comment

Hi Glen,

Thank you for your help.

I will have a look to see if I can find a Annie Thrall born in Derbyshire. I have had a look at the 1901 and that Annie was born in Notts and George is listed as a House Painter.

My George's occupation was a Coal miner.

Kelly.

Comment

Kelly,

do you know IF George was born in Notts? Do you have his death cert? did he leave a will? when he died was there an obit in the paper? that might name some other relatives if there was one. Thing is, without any concrete proof you dont know for sure that George & Annie are the ones you need. have you tried looking at the Electoral Rolls? maybe this might yield some clues.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

Unfortunately, all the information I have is from the marriage cert and the only information older family members have told me is that he had two sons.

I contacted the nottm archives this week and George wasn't living at the address that was shown on the marriage cert on the 1912 electoral. I have the electoral info from 1919 up to 1939, but not for 1913 onwards. I'm not sure if there would be any electoral rolls available for 1913-1918?

Older relatives have told me that George died between 1956 and 1959. My Gran's niece married in the AMJ quarter of 1956 and George is on her wedding photo, my Gran married in 1959 and George isn't on her wedding photo. I have sent an email to the nottm registry office to see if they can find his death, there is a death in 1956 for the Nottingham registration district which could be George's, just got to wait for the registry office to confirm for me.

My older family members seem to think that George was from Nottingham, but they cold be wrong.

I do not know if he would have left a will, do you know how I could find out? Looking for an obit is also a good idea, there may have been other children from his first marriage that we don't know about.

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kelly.

Comment

Kelly,

IF he left a will, then you would be best waiting for the death cert, you can then contact Nottm Probate office and see if he did leave one. The paper would probably be 'Nottingham Evening Post' as this is the local one for the city of Nottm, other areas do have their local papers, but I'd have a punt with the post. Presumably its Shakespeare St that you are waiting for?

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Yes its Shakespear street that I'm waiting for.

Thank you for your help, I will wait and see what the registry office say before going any further.

Kelly.

Comment

No probs Kelly, I live in Nottinghamshire so know the area/local stuff :smilee:
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X