Which Birth ref:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Birth ref:

Another game of chance is on, if it was your money, which reference would you go for 1st?

Trying to get correct birth cert for g. gm. There are 2 quite possibles in the right area..........she was born (according to the census') in 1851.

So it's a choice between a Dec q. 1850 Or a Mar Q 1852.

Which would you put your money on?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

What are her actual ages shown in each census? Have you found both people in all censuses? I would look for both and compare the ages of each in all censuses. From that, you might be able to get a better handle on which one to go for.
    Last edited by Elderflower; 28-01-11, 13:20. Reason: Added some more ideas

Comment

Hi Pat, In 1861 she was 10 but in 1871 she was married, on her wedding cert she gives her age as full at 21, which could be shy, as I think she left the family home prior to marriage as she was at an address with her future husband. Her step father had re~married almost right after her mother's death, so she obviously wasn't wanted there. She married 2/1/1871.

See where your coming from Pat, in 1851 she may not have been born until after the census, so looks like the 52 could be favourite.
      Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 28-01-11, 13:31.
      Jen

Comment

Jen you could contact the local office and say that there are two registrations but you would like the one that has Anne Green formerly Black as the mother. (I have used this as an example) that way you should get the right one?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

How would I find out the local office address for the area Julie, never done this before. Tried once with the GRO but they weren't having any lol! They're not daft!
          Jen

Comment

which area is it Jen?
            Julie

Comment

It's Sedbergh West Yorkshire Julie....as in my other thread.
              Jen

Comment

if you goto FTFs home page on the left is a pane, within that you will see 'British Isles Index' if you click on that, then England it lists all the counties in England, on each of the county pages you will find links to alot of places within that county. if you scroll down the page you have chosen you will see Register Office, this is where the offices for that regions address and contact numbers are. Do not use the GRO refs as they have their own system, but am sure that a telephone call/email will help if you get stuck. :smilee:
                Julie

Comment

ohh piffle! thats the one place where it doesnt list a Register Office, I seem to recall that they were all being 'done' from the one place, hang on I'll have a look to see if I can find it
                  Julie

Comment

OK Thanks Julie.
                    Jen

Comment

right, have a look here and see if this helps:

Julie

Comment

Thank you Julie, a great help. I think perhaps Leeds looks favourite, I may give them a call soon to see if they can help me.
                        Jen

Comment

hopefully you get the right one, if not am sure they can point you in the right direction
                          Julie

Comment

Yes, I hope so Julie, I just tried phoning them but there was a queue, so I whipped off an email.....just hope they reply. Many thanks again Julie.

Oh well that didn't work, no sooner finished typing this and the darn thing has been returned with fatal errors! Wouldn't you know it.

Never mind, gonna sit on this one a while now........sent for her mothers marriage cert which is due on the 3rd........see what happens with that.
                            Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 28-01-11, 14:57.
                            Jen

Comment

no probs :smilee:
                              Julie

Comment

Jen, you might want to try this for finding the correct Registrar's office:

Using FreeBMD, find the birth reference that you are questioning.
                                Click on the blue registration district as shown in the reference.
                                This brings up a window that shows District Information. Click on the link that says "information about it can be found here."
                                This brings a further screen showing information about the district. In the case of Sedbergh it shows "Abolished : 1.4.1974 (succeeded by Kendal district)."
                                Click on the Kendal link.
                                This brings up a screen headed
                                "KENDAL REGISTRATION DISTRICT"

Scroll to the bottom of this screen and click on the link for Kendal "Registers now divided between Kendal and Barrow in Furness districts"

This then shows a table giving details of registrars' offices.
                                KendalThe Register Office, County Offices, Kendal, LA9 4RQ.
                                Tel: 01539 7735667. Fax: 01539 773565.
                                E-mail:
                                kendal.registeroffice@cumbriacc.gov.uk

I think there is a shorter route to finding these details on FreeBMD but I have not worked it out yet.

Hope this helps as it seems that it might not be Leeds you are after.

Comment

Oh Thank you for going to so much trouble Pat & Julie, and I'm sorry I didn't put this up sooner, being busy trying to track her down but it now looks like she was born in Manchester, as this is where her mother was in 1851 the yr. she was born.

Apologies for that.........I thought this thread may be done with.
                                  Jen

Comment

Working...
                                  X