1921 Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1921 Petition

Has anyone ever seen one from around this period. There is one in which a chap divorced my harlot grandmother and names my grandfather as the co-respondent.
    Up to this point I haven't got any info about my grandfather other than his name and that he might origialy come from the Sheffield area, would the divorce petition possibly give me his age? If not i'll revert to plan B which is the 1921 census.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Just happen to have one on my desk, which came last week - dated 1918.
    The only ages it gives are of children.
    It gives dates of purported adultery and the addresses of where it supposedly took place!
    Elaine

Comment

Well, not the divorce petition, but I entered OH's grandfathers name in NA site and up came a case of obscene literature sent through the post - that is, when OHs gran left him and took the kids to London from Liverpool, he sent her some terrible letters detailing what he reckoned she had been up to with other men!

So, not saying you will find something like that but worth bunging their name in the National Archives search.

Comment

I have some stuff about Annie (my grandmother) but nothing on John Townsend. Without a place/year of birth he is pretty well impossible to trace and the only thing I can think is using the 1921 census as I have elect roles for him at the time. 1921 is a while after she met grandfather and abandoned her kids/huby but it might give me some other info about them.

Divorce Court File: 6110. Appellant: James Francis Garland.
        Respondent: Annie Garland.
        Co-respondent: John Townsend.
        Type: Husband's petition for divorce [hd].
        Covering dates 1921

Mmmmm, anyone heading to TNA?
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Nothing in The Times.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X