Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh eyes please....not finding my Jane.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh eyes please....not finding my Jane.......

Need a birth ref please for Jane Madeley born 1851 Lancashire.

In 1861 when she was 10 the family was at Ashton Road High Bank Openshaw.

Later residing in Ardwick Manchester.

Not sure where they were when Jane was born.

Any help appreciated.. can't spot her myself, lots of variants of the Madeley name (Mis- spellings)

Thank you.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

In 1861 Maria, William's wife, is aged 26 which means that she would have been about 16 when Jane was born.

Have you considered that this might be their marriage
    Marriages Sep 1854
    Madeley William
    NELSON Maria
    Manchester 8d 100

LancsBMD shows the marriage was at Manchester Cathedral (formerly Manchester Collegiate Church)

...and that Jane was illegitimate.

LancsBMD shows a birth registration for a Jane Nelson in 1851 with MMN also Nelson, so that's a possible.
    District was Crompton - but I've no idea if that is the right area!
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      In 1861 Maria, William's wife, is aged 26 which means that she would have been about 16 when Jane was born.

Have you considered that this might be their marriage
      Marriages Sep 1854
      Madeley William
      NELSON Maria
      Manchester 8d 100

LancsBMD shows the marriage was at Manchester Cathedral (formerly Manchester Collegiate Church)

...and that Jane was illegitimate.

This is a possible
      Births Dec 1850
      Nelson Janet
      Manchester 20 482
      Yes that's the marriage Elaine ........found on my previous thread . Thank you.

So if Jane was illegitimate, that may explain why she left home after her mother died and made a bad marriage. Maybe she wasn't an actual Madeley after all..........this just keeps getting more and more complicated.

Appreciate it Elaine.........don't know how I will find her now though. Unless she was registered under her mother's maiden name of Nelson .........I'll go and have a look.

Oops.....missed the last bit, you beat me to it.......but don't know how Janet sneaked in?
      Jen

Comment

Ignore the Janet bit! I realised I had the wrong name and deleted it from my post!
        Then added the bit about LancsBMD and the Jane Nelson registration.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Ignore the Janet bit! I realised I had the wrong name and deleted it from my post!
          Then added the bit about LancsBMD and the Jane Nelson registration.
          Thanks Elaine, I'll check that out, I've no idea if that's the right district either, I need to track her mother back further yet.

I've found 3 Jane's in the Lancs area and dumped them in my shoebox for now.....looks like this may be an expensive search if I'm not careful.
          Jen

Comment

Did you look at LancsBMD births?

1848 NELSON, Jane ~ Tonge with Haulgh ~ Bolton; mmn= NELSON
            1851 NELSON, Jane ~ Crompton ~ Oldham; mmn=NELSON

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-01-11, 22:11.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Did you look at LancsBMD births?

1848 NELSON, Jane ~ Tonge with Haulgh ~ Bolton; mmn= NELSON
              1851 NELSON, Jane ~ Crompton ~ Oldham; mmn=NELSON

Christine
              No haven't looked there yet Christine.

I found Maria in 1851 living with her sisters in Manchester. All her sisters put their place of birth as Hull Yorkshire except from Maria (the youngest & Jane's mother) who says she was born Manchester.

They were at an address quite near to the centre of the city, so can't imagine it would come under Oldham
              or Bolton.....the regstration of birth.
              Jen

Comment

It's worth keeping an eye on the Local BMD sites. A number are gradually amending to include age at death, and mmn, long before either appeared on the GRO indexes.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X