French abbreviations & translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French abbreviations & translation

Can anyone translate this for my cousin please, see below..We can work out some of it...we think!!....I'm assuming f. is fil . & Finistret is a place near Pepignan. is P pere & M mere?? & would that be of Ester, therefore G'parents of Fransois. And bap. par- is baptized by Mr Renoult minister of St E..

Thank you

Huguenot Church, Crispin Street, Spitalfileds 26/11/1704. "Fransois, f. de Fransois, dem. a Finistret, oueure, Proche la Pye, et d'Ester; bap. par Mr Renoult, min. du St E. P. Guillaume Lucas. M. Janne Pascel"
    Olga

Hi Olga

I'm not familiar with Huguenot baptisms but Parrain and Marraine are godfather and godmother in French so would fit the P and M abbreviations.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Many thanks Gillian, it's a good start.... :-)
      Olga

Comment

dem. à is an abbreviation for "living at" (can't offhand think what the full word is).

Guillaume is William. Janne may be cod-French for Jane perhaps.
        Last edited by Uncle John; 27-01-11, 22:49.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i should think william and jane were witnesses or god parents.

Comment

"François, son of François, abode Finistret (?), labourer, near La Pye (?), and of Ester; bap. by Mr Renoult, Minister of the Holy Church. Godfather: Guillaume (William) Lucas. Godmother: Janne (Jean or Jane) Pascel"

There are a few misspellings there: Fransois should be François, and Janne should probably be Jeanne.
            I assume oueure is a misspelling of ouvrier (labourer).

I don't think there's a place called "Proche la Pye"; "proche La Pye" could mean "near La Pye", but I haven't found a place of that name near Perpignan.

Anyway, as the baptism was in London, I would have thought the parents' abode would be there too.

If it's handwritten, can you post or link to the image?
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-01-11, 15:36.

Comment

Thank you Uncle John ......& Mary from Italy.....

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              "François, son of François, abode Finistret (?), labourer, near La Pye (?), and of Ester; bap. by Mr Renoult, Minister of the Holy Church. Godfather: Guillaume (William) Lucas. Godmother: Janne (Jean or Jane) Pascel"

There are a few misspellings there: Fransois should be François, and Janne should probably be Jeanne.
              I assume oueure is a misspelling of ouvrier (labourer).

I don't think there's a place called "Proche la Pye"; "proche La Pye" could mean "near La Pye", but I haven't found a place of that name near Perpignan.

Anyway, as the baptism was in London, I would have thought the parents' abode would be there too.

If it's handwritten, can you post or link to the image?
              Mary from Italy, I'll have to get back to you re posting the the original if thats ok?...because I only have the text I posted....
              Many thanks for all your help it's very much appreciated
              Olga

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                i should think william and jane were witnesses or god parents.

Thank you kylejustin
                Olga

Comment

[QUOTE=Mary from Italy;2194245).[COLOR="red"]I don't think there's a place called "Proche la Pye"; "proche La Pye" could mean "near La Pye", but I haven't found a place of that name near Perpignan.

Anyway, as the baptism was in London, I would have thought the parents' abode would be there too.[/COLOR] QUOTE]

The early London Huguenot Churches gave where the parents originated from in France.
                  Sue

Comment

Oh, I didn't know that, Sue, thanks.

Comment

Thank you sue....
                      Mary from Italy...From my cousin.....

'''I copied this by hand from a book I found at the London University library so, unfortunately, I only have my notebook to go on. I was pretty careful to ensure that I copied it down as it appears in the book but it doesn't get us very far! The book is only a transcription of the original record, the original, I guess, being with the Huguenot records in Rochester.'''

So can't get any further with this record I guess... Thank you for all your help... Again ... I appreciate all your help, thank you
                      Olga

Comment

There are a lot of Huguenot records on this site now, including Spitalfields. http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/ It's free to search but pay to view. You may find siblings etc. I was going to have a quick look for you but there doesn't seem to be a surname in your extract!
                        Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                          There are a lot of Huguenot records on this site now, including Spitalfields. http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/ It's free to search but pay to view. You may find siblings etc. I was going to have a quick look for you but there doesn't seem to be a surname in your extract!

Sorry Sue....surname is Dupuys/Dupuis/Dupuy. We are trying to establish parents of Francis Dupuy var spellings b c 1731...

The earliest Dupuis/Dupuys/Dupuy we have is Francis Dupuy (waterman) b 1731, mar? Susanna, although we cannot find a marriage! & their children from 1753-1776 through bap records...
                          all born area - Lower Gun Alley/St George East & most info coming forward

Many thanks again Sue
                          Last edited by olga_b; 31-01-11, 12:59.
                          Olga

Comment

"dem." is probably the abbreviation of "demeurant" which meant "staying at" or, by extension, "living at"/"place of abode".

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
                              "dem." is probably the abbreviation of "demeurant" which meant "staying at" or, by extension, "living at"/"place of abode".

Thank you kiki1982 :-)
                              Olga

Comment

There's this marriage on Ancestry's London Baptisms, Marriages and Burials http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...045&recoff=5+6 The original image looks like Dupuy to me....

If you don't have access the details are -
                                Name: Francis Duprey
                                Marriage Date: 9 Nov 1752
                                Parish: St Matthew, Bethnal Green
                                County: Middlesex
                                Borough: Tower Hamlets
                                Spouse: Susanna Harley
                                Record Type: Marriage
                                Sue

Comment

This looks very interesting.....Thanks sue I'll pass it on .......
                                  Olga

Comment

Working...
                                  X