Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will proved in Lichfield 1790's?

Morning all.

I've found a couple of online references to papers relating to a possible will of one Samuel Turnock (d1797). They're on Staffordshire's online archive service and are held at Lichfield Register Office. I don't think I can access the documents themselves electronically, or even order them electronically from that site. I don't know if the will itself will be listed on the NA site where I could order it, I think it only lists wills proved through Canterbury if I recall? Any thoughts on how I progress this? Should I call or email Lichfield RO and see whether they could find the papers listed for me - anyone dealt with them before?

This is new terrotory for me so all advice is appreciated,
    Kate x

I'd guess it's the Records Office (County Archives) rather than the Register Office (BMDs, which only started in 1837).
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Doh! I knew that, honestly :o

Comment

I have visited Lichfield R.O and they are really friendly and helpful. I think your best course of action would be to phone of email them and ask their advice. I would have the reference numbers from the online catalogue handy as it will help them locate the records.
        Helen
        Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thanks Helen, I'll do that.

Also one of the references I found makes mention of a 'pretended will', and the four entries span the six year period after Samuel's death. I wonder if the will was contested or if probate was complicated - the papers are 'Testamentary' entries in the Consistory Courts series. On the upside all of the names mentioned as children and siblings back up an otherwise unsourced LDS Pedigree Resource File entry

Comment

googling "pretended will" only gives one live hit: http://yourarchives.nationalarchives...le=C_11/814/13
            which I haven't waded through but seems to refer to a disputed will.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

TNA only has this entry, listed under Death Duty Registers:

Description: Abstract of Will of Samuel Turnock, Clerk of Leek, Staffordshire
              Date: November 05 1803

I wonder if it's the same person?

You can download the Abstract for £3.50, but I would e-mail Lichfield Record Office anyway to see what they have and ask for an estimate. As Helen says, they're very helpful.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-01-11, 14:58.

Comment

Oh Mary, yes that's him! I've emailed Lichfield so I'll se what they say, and I've downloaded the NA piece too. I hate the NA site for searching - I'd tried a couple of times but got nothing, no doubt I wasn't doing it right but it's a very frustrating site I think. Thank you so much for finding it. It confirms the other names I had from the Staffordshire site, but unfortunately it is just a small abstract. I really hope that Lichfield get back to me, I'm very excited about seeing those papers

Comment

Ahem. Just had a very swift reply from Lichfield. Because there are in total about 120 pages across the four entries I've located, the total cost for them to copy and send to me will be £122.50. Including p&p. Don't think I'll be pursuing that at the moment then. Alternatively if I can get to Lichfield then a day's photograph permit is £5 and I could take photos of all the pages for that apparently. What I don't know is whether or not all the pages in each bundle actually relate to the chap I'm interested in or whether or not his case is collated along with others. I am travelling to Staffordshire in the summer but I don't know whether I'll be able to get to Lichfield RO or not.

Feel a bit deflated, hadn't expected it to be quite so much!

Comment

There is a lady who visits the Lichfield RO every so often and will take photos; not sure how much she'd charge you for that, but you can ask for an estimate.

Contact details here:

Genealogy, Family History, Trepess, Research, Warwickshire, Hungary, Hungary Real Estate, Hungary Property, Industrial

I've used her before and she's reliable; however, with old documents, digital photos aren't always as easy to read as photocopies.

I go there myself occasionally, but I won't be there before next summer either (and anyway I'm a very poor photographer ).
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-01-11, 17:46.

Comment

A quick update.

I've been in contact with Lichfield RO today. They've confirmed that all the pages in each bundle will actually relate to the relevant individual so the initial charge was correct. However off their own bat they've searched the Wills index and found the actual will and probate grant for me (rather than the Court papers which my references were for). Their standard charge for a copy will is just £4.50 and it will be in the post to me tomorrow The NA abstract states that the estate was worth some £2000, so very much worth the potential beneficiaries hiring solicitors to fight over it, and hence the acres of court papers I found initially. I hope I'll be able to see those papers one day and find out what the meat of the dispute was, but for now I'm very happy I've found the will.

Big thumbs up for Lichfield RO too

Comment

Working...
                      X