Census Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Question

I have Walter Mann age 11 born Kearsley Lancs. Living with his parents in Nottinghamshire.Also I have the same person age 11 on the census as Nephew living in Farnworth Lancs.. Yes in Farnworth it was his uncle and auntie.
    Is it possible to be listed on the census in the same year countries apart in the SAME year (1911)
    Any help in understanding this would be most welcomed.
    Rivington.
    Researching: ORRELL, HIGGINSON, LEIGH, PEET, LLOYD,GREEN. all Lancashire. PEPIN. USA. LLOYD, Canada. PEET, Victoria Australia

It may well be the same person listed twice if he was visiitng his auntie and uncle but his parents put him down too as living with them. to be on the safe side tho i would check the 1901 and see what is happening then for both areas. you may have cousins of the same name.
    Angelina

Comment

I have just come across a similar thing in the 1881 census
      a soldier and his family living at the barracks in Lancashire, and also living at a house near the barracks, a child of the soldier living with grandparents in Nottingham but named at the barracks, so it is whoever is giving the information at the time is making the error, as the census states that the person named must reside in that address on the night of the census.

Edna

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.
        To Angelina. Have checked the 1901 census and he is in Farnworth with his grandparents. His parents were in Nottingham lodging, he was not shown on this census with his parents. Maybe when they move to Nottingham they left the son in Farnworth with grandparents until they got settled. But as I say still there in 1911. By 1911 his parents had a further seven children puzzled as to why he was left in Farnworth. To Clematised. Yes the person should be in the address on the night of the census but errors are made, we can only hazard a guess as to the reasons !

Rivington.
        Researching: ORRELL, HIGGINSON, LEIGH, PEET, LLOYD,GREEN. all Lancashire. PEPIN. USA. LLOYD, Canada. PEET, Victoria Australia

Comment

If you look for Alice WARR here: 1891 RG12/1180, with the knowledge that her parents were Jason John WARR & Patience, and her paternal grandparents were John WARR & Ann, you will see that she appears twice, there, too.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have several examples of people on the same census twice. Either with other relatives or even at work, as well as 'at home'.

Its worth remembering that the census is only supposed to represent where poeple were on that ONE NIGHT. Just because he was with auntie and uncle doesn't necessarily mean he was living permanently with them. (Although he might have been!)

Anne

Comment

I have my gt x 3 grandmother with her mother and brother, enumerated in 1841 with her father in one Glos village but also enumerated with her grandparents in another. I suspect that her father (or the enumerator) put down their names at their usual residence, but they were also listed as visitors to the grandparents. It was helpful as I could confirm the grandparents as my gt x 4 grandparents.

I also have a gt grandfather in Norfolk, listed as head of the household with his wife, two sons and his mother, but also several miles away in Great Yarmouth on a fishing smack with his brother. This makes up for all my Norfolk fishermen rellies who are at sea and never appear on censuses!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have several examples too. OHs great grandad is shown as a soldier in barracks and also 2 miles away with his wife in lodgings. My Great aunt is shown with my GGP and also down the street with her aunt and uncle. And gawd help me, in 90 years time my own son will be shown at home with us and also at his boarding school :(

Comment

hehe heather. my great grandmother is listed at her parents and her work in 1911. her parents listed all their living children though, even theough the first four had got married and moved out.

Comment

Heaven knows how many mistakes will be made in this year's census with its 56 or so questions. Let alone the deliberately confusing entries such as the Jedi religion, etc.
                    Phil
                    historyhouse.co.uk
                    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Walters babtism 10th January 1900 is on https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/in...tml....parents Walter Mann and Fanny....marriage june qtr 1899 Walter Mann to Fanny Leigh on freebmd.....on lancsbmd they married at Farnsworth and Kearsley parish church , St John the Evangelist....
                      so were his grandparents in Farnsworth named Mann or Leigh ???....I am just thinking maybe we have 2 Walter Mann here ??...or am I confusing the matter ??....allan
                      Last edited by garstonite; 27-01-11, 09:26.
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

All very interesting with the number of errors made. I wonder are there statistics for the accuracy pecentage wise for any perticular census? This would be interesting. As Keldon says 'Heaven knows how many mistakes will be made in this's years census.
                        Rivington.

Comment

The census is a statistical exercise using a huge sample, so errors tend to cancel out.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

To Garstonite. Walters grandparents as shown per 1901 census were 'Leigh' and his uncle and auntie as shown on 1911 census were 'Orrell'. The wife of John Thomas Orrell was Mary Ellen Leigh being Walters mothers sister therefore his auntie. Thank you for your comments.

Rivington

Comment

Working...
                            X