Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - Royal Field Artillery driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - Royal Field Artillery driver

Our military expert Paul Nixon, pictured below, answers your queries.

From Jean Perrin:

‘My father, Charles Martin, was a driver in the Royal Field Artillery. I think his regimental no. was 101046.

The medal roll shows he received the Victory Medal and British War Medal. I think it says beside these: ‘Roll - RFA/239B, Page 27719′. This is all I can find for him in the military records. I think he would have been living in London when he enlisted, somewhere around Canning Town or maybe Stepney.

He mentioned many times that he rode a horse and was involved in taking ammunition to the troops at the front. He was born in 1890 in Sculcoates, Hull, Yorkshire but lived in London from around 1911 onwards, and I think he enlisted near the beginning of WWI.

I would be really grateful if you could throw any more light on his enlistment or service.’

Paul says:

‘Receipt of the Victory Medal and British War Medal only shows that he didn’t arrive overseas until 1 January 1916 at the earliest, and unfortunately the corresponding medal roll for these medal is unlikely to tell you which battery he served with.

His number looks as though it dates to between August and October 1915, so that’s when he presented himself at the depot. It might be worth visiting the Great War Forum and posting a message there to see if any of the Royal Artillery experts there has information on this man. Also try contacting the Royal Artillery archive in Woolwich.’

If you’d like to send your question to our experts, please register or opt to receive newsletters in My Account. Unfortunately our experts only have time to answer a few queries each month. If yours wasn’t answered this time, you could be lucky next month!

More...
Working...
X