Removing a whole branch from my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a whole branch from my tree

I am trying to remove a branch from my tree so that it can be passed as my nephews tree and not mine and my husbands but I can't find on FTM 2010 how to detach my husbands side of the tree in the book it says select person then detach and gives me options but it states that they will still be there but not attached to the tree and when I print the tree they are still showing.
    Any ideas please?
    Jen

Jennie, are you trying to remove this branch from your tree - as well as saving this branch to a separate file?
    Elaine

Comment

I'm going to presume you need both - and export of that branch to a new file and then a deletion of that branch from your main tree!

The first thing you need to do is make a backup copy of your complete file .... just in case! :D

You need to be able to isolate the particular branch you want to export/delete so the first thing to do is to detach the core member of the branch from the rest of your tree.
      Click on the core member, select PERSON / ATTACH DETACH PERSON / DETACH SELECTED PERSON

If you have a husband & wife you will probably need to detach both of them.

This should then create what is known as an orphan group - a group of people that are not connected to the rest of the data on your tree. Can be as big or small as you want, obviously depends on the size of the branch you want to get rid of.

Then click on the person that you have detached, go to PUBLISH and create an EXTENDED FAMILY CHART for that person. It should bring up the complete orphaned branch that you want to save as a new file and/or delete from your main tree.

Right click on any person in the chart - click on EXPORT - ENTIRE CHART
      It should then bring up another box with items to be included in Export, e.g. media, notes etc. Just choose what you want (tick - untick boxes accordingly). Click OK and select a new file name for that section of the tree.

Before you do anything about deleting that particular branch I would suggest you go to the new file you have just created and make sure you have got what you need.

If all looks OK then go back to your original tree and go back to the EXTENDED FAMILY CHART that you made for that branch (the one you want to delete). This time, right click on any person in the chart and instead of selecting EXPORT, you select DELETE FROM FILE - ALL PERSONS IN CHART. They will then be deleted from your master file.

BUT .... please create a BACKUP before you start doing any of this!
      Elaine

Comment

Thankyou Elaine. For some reason when I checked here earlier I couldn't see your reply but can see it now! I will give it a go and see how I get on.
        Jen

Comment

Working...
        X