Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with incoming passengers, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with incoming passengers, please?

1895 Frederick George Gale married Margaret Seely Plowright at Kings Lynn.

1911 Margaret Gale is widowed, living in Hendon with daughter Marjorie Freda Gale, 15yrs, born Johannesburg. (2 children from Margaret's marr - 1 living, 1 deceased.)

1899 passenger list, sailing on The Salamis, to the Cape:
    Mr Fred Gale 31
    Mrs Gale 27
    Master 2 &1/2
    Miss 1
    Miss Plowright 55
    Nurse to Gale 26

Update - the son was Bernard Seeley Gale, also born in South Africa.

I think the childrens' ages are the wrong way round & that Miss Plowright should be Mrs (Margaret's mother.)
    Mrs Plowright was back in Norfolk by 1901 census.

IF Marjorie was born in South Africa, there must have been a previous outward & return journey????

Can anyone help with this family please? (Trying to tie up a loose end, so I don't need images at this point, just hoping to pinpoint possible date of death of Frederick George and name of the son.)

Many thanks,
    Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-01-11, 18:16. Reason: additional info
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Looking on a*cest*y, I have a Mrs Gale with 2 misses (1 aged 11, 1 aged 7) coming back to England in the june of 1899 (landed 30 June 1899) from Durban, South Africa. Mrs Gale is in the right age group and the ship is the Norman. Looking at the other website (gives the outgoing passengers), the whole family went back to South Africa in the August of 1899 . Hope that is of some help

Comment

I've found a Mr and Mrs Galle on the outward journey to South Africa (Cape) on the ship Moor. Ship set sail on 30 January 1897. Frederick himself was a mining engineer, have you thought about looking at South Africa deaths, or even possible mining deaths in South Africa ?

Comment

Thankyou so much, chrisj.

The 1897 outward record will be them, as Frederick was recorded as a mining engineer in 1891 census. I note the spelling (or transcription) variation of Gale, so should now be able to access that record.

Yes, I did wonder if Frederick had died in S Africa (and perhaps the son as well) but hoped that if anyone could help with the 2 return journeys, it would narrow things down a bit.
        I don't have a worldwide sub for incoming journeys - I think that the index gives a record for Margaret Seely Gale, but I can't work out the date of the journey and was wondering if just she and daughter Marjorie returned.

Many thanks for your time, it's been a great help.
        Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Many thanks to the FTF wiki and all its links.

It seems Frederick George Gale became a captain in the Railway Pioneer Corps and was killed in 1900 during the Boer War. (I've found a bit about the Corps & also the incident.)

So, when did Margaret Seely Gale return to England?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Margaret Seely Gale appears to have been in Bombay at some point, returning to London on 22 April 1927, aged 57 on the Ship Naldera. Her address is given as 88 Hampstead Way, London NW11 She was a second class passenger, occupation given as Home Duties and England cited as permanent address.

Cor, she travelled a bit didnt she. With same address in Hampstead given, she was on a boat from Sydney (Mooltan) which she appears to have boarded at Gibraltar, arriving London 27.3.1925

On 30 May 1913 a Mrs Margaret Gale arrives at Southampton from Cape Town (no home address in England given) aged 39?? Last place of permanent residence is given as Africa
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 25-01-11, 21:12.

Comment

Heather - thankyou so much for all that information.

Wasn't expecting so much travel - bit of a globe trotter, wasn't she?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X