No announcement yet.

Confused by old money and measurements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused by old money and measurements?

There's now an App for your mobile so you can work out old money and measurements.

Linked from TNA
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember 'old money'!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

pmsl, I still use them.

Comment

More like I'm confused by new units, but I have grown up with new money
        Barbara

Comment

No good for me either because of my age. Besides, I don't even have a mobile phone.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Five and a half yards is one rod, pole or perch.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I still haven't converted to new money and measurements yet.

LOL UJ!
              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I'm old enough to remember 'old money' too.

What I can't get used to is the measurments. I know what a foot or an inch looks like in my mind but when item sizes are in cm or mm's my brain just goes blank! Suppose I should carry a ruler around with me. LOL!
                teresa

Comment

Measurements... when you're making a cake, a rounded tablespoon of flour/sugar, is roughly an ounce. The average egg weighs roughly 2 ounces. A block of margerine or butter (before the manufacturers sneakily reduced it while charging the same price) weighed 8 ounces and could easily be cut into halves, quarters and eighths so that you could just take what you needed.

So will someone explain what use one gram is???
                  Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

The only metric comparisons I remember are 468ml = 1 pint (it was imprinted on 1 pint milk bottles) and 30 cms = 1 foot approx.
                    I find that serves me well enough :D

I have absolutely no idea how a kilometre is converted to a mile (or vice versa) or a kilogram to a pound (or vice versa) and am completely stumped when following a recipe in metric even with my trusty dual measurement scales. The Imperial measurements have been written in all my cook books for my favourite recipes after my elder son converted them for me . If I come across a new recipe in a magazine or somewhere I have to Google to convert the measurements ;)

My mobile phone is too old for apps - my grandchildren call it Grandma's brick :D
                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                    X