Ancestry - Old search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - Old search

Fiddle-de -dee have lost it again. How do I get back to the old method of searching on Ancestry? Much prefer it and have a ref no to look up.
    Thanks
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Click on SEARCH / SEARCH ALL RECORDS
    At the right hand side, under the navigation bar, you should see the words "Go to old search"
    Elaine

Comment

... or add these to your favourites/bookmarks!

OLD Search

NEW Search
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine
        Kat

Comment

With all the updates and new searches available on Ancestry I cannot understand why you cannot look up a ref no easily on here without using this old search. Crazy.

edit: unless I am missing something?
          Kat

Comment

Don't think you are missing anything Kat. The only way I know of doing it is via the old search pages.
            Elaine

Comment

I have trouble finding the search the census by reference numbers on there , is there any easy way ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                I have trouble finding the search the census by reference numbers on there , is there any easy way ?
                Here you are Val - straight from the ancestry blog !

Looking for Old Search?
                Old search is still there. Go to the search homepage : http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search. Under the navigation bar on the right, you’ll see a link, “Go to Old Search”. Click on this, and you’ll be back on the Old Search form.
                Happy Searching!

Nina

FORGOT this - See my post - #10

Nina;)
                Last edited by Inahaystack; 24-01-11, 18:16. Reason: Forgot some bits !

Comment

Val,
                  I bookmark a selection of Ancestry links which I use the most - all preset to the "old search method". This ensures that when I click on any of them it takes me directly to the old search pages, rather than going to the new search which I hate! Doesn't matter which browser you use - I use Firefox and add them to a dedicated Ancestry folder on the Toolbar Menu.

Example screenshot -

The other way of doing it, if you don't want to bookmark them in your browser, is to customise the home page and add the direct links there in the "My Quick Links" section. If you set the Quick LInks up using the old search method then they will stay that way!

Example screenshot-

Either way you have a list of quick access links which take you directly to the page (AND SEARCH METHOD) that you need.
                  Elaine

Comment

Val, forgot to add this - Once you are on the page you should see this -
                    Historical Records
                    Census & Voter Lists
                    - British Slave Registers - Free
                    - 1871 England Census - Updated
                    - UK Census Collection

Click on the UK Census Collection

Nina
                    - more...

Comment

That is all very well for us oldies who know about the Old Search. What about newbies who want to look up a ref no? They wouldn't know where to find it - go to findmypast I guess, lol
                      Kat

Comment

Thanks all but maybe I am a bit dimmer tonight than usual ? had a hard day , but I still cant find the old search where you can search by census reference ????????????
                        Kat the reason I want to know this as quite often I can find a Census on Findmypast but the name has been mistranscribed on Ancestry or vica versa so like to check both as its easy to add the Ancestry one to my Tree.
                        Last edited by Guest; 24-01-11, 19:40.

Comment

INA thanks for that but it does not give me the option to search by reference number ??????????????

Comment

First select the Old search method
                            SEARCH / SEARCH ALL RECORDS / GO TO OLD SEARCH

Then in the right hand column under Historical Records, select UK census collection

Historical Records
                            Census & Voter Lists
                            - UK Census Collection
                            - more...

Scroll down the page and select which census you want to search, e.g. 1891 England census.
                            Under the normal search boxes (for name, age etc) you will see the boxes where you can enter the census reference.
                            Elaine

Comment

Elaine I know this will sound daft but I click on old search but I dont get these options
                              Historical Records
                              Census & Voter Lists
                              - UK Census Collection
                              - more...

I get a page that says go to old search ?????

Comment

Click on Go to old search under the nav bar.
                                Then if you look at the next page you will see a column on the right which has a heading of Browse records where you should find the Historial records links.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  You are looking at the UK 1881 collections - which means the 1881 census for England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands - all combined in one search.

You need to select 1881 England census OR 1881 Wales census OR 1881 Channel Islands census etc.
                                  Elaine

Comment

honestly Elaine I dont get that ? for some reason it keeps going back to a page that says go to old search? dont worry you must be sick of me I will try again later thanks for trying .

Comment

Val - this where you should be

Nina

Enter the name, year and scroll down a wee bit and enter Piece, Folio & Page No. - Yes/No ?
                                      Last edited by Inahaystack; 24-01-11, 21:56.

Comment

Working...
                                      X