Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Savage

Hi

I hoping there is someone on here that can help me, I have a photo of a group of men who are plumbers builders etc standing outside a building and on this building it states T Savage Builder & Decorator the address is 56 Dawes Road. Fulham In the 1911 census 56 Dawes Road Fulham it states T. Savage Butcher.

I cannot find any other trace of this T Savage nor does this address have a builder & decorator trading from there in the census.

I remember the building it was on the corner of the street I use to live on.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I can tie up this mystery the some of the men in the photo are my relatives they were plumbers but I would like to know who they worked for.

Christine

Do you have any idea how old the photo is?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi
      T Savage was possibly Timothy Savage living in Fulham in 1901 but different address. Occupation plumber & fitter. employer born c1872 Walkern Herts. Ref Piece 70 Folio 71 Page 45
      Moggie

Comment

I think the photo is early 1900 and thank you moggie I will at that

Comment

Hi
          Possible marriage for Timothy
          Ethel Mary Richardson 1897 Apr/May/Jun Glanford Brigg Lncolnshire
          Timothy Savage 1897 Apr/May/Jun Glanford Brigg Lincolnshire

Moggie

Comment

Hi

I have solved the problem (I think) in 1901 T. Savage was a builder and in 1911 he changed his trade to butcher but the business address is the same.

I wanted to solve this mystery because I was trying to work out why alot of my relatives went to Canada in the early 1900c I think because they were plumbers and savage changed his trade to a butcher they were unemployed.

So thanks sometimes it helps having other people look at a problem with fresh eyes
            Last edited by cwheelerparker; 23-01-11, 11:37.

Comment

Are you absolutely sure he was a butcher in 1911? A butcher is/was a time-served trade and it would be very odd in my opinion for a builder/plumber to retrain and become a butcher.

OC

Comment

Hi
                Have you seen the 1911 image? His occupation may have been wrongly transcribed. Bu(tch)er & Bu(ild)er are very similar.
                Moggie

The address in 1901(census) was 9 Sotherton Rd but later that year (August) when they had daughter Ellen baptised the address had changed to 25 Dawes Rd.
                Last edited by maudarby; 23-01-11, 12:11.

Comment

I agree with OC - butchering was a very skilled trade, requiring would be butchers to serve their time with a master butcher.

I also agree with maudarby - builder could easily be misread as butcher.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Looking at the images, the 1901 plumber & fitter is almost certainly the same person as the 1911 builder (not, as currently transcribed, 'butcher'). PoB and other personel in eth household too similar for alternative explanation - especially with unusual name, as well.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The original definitely looks like BUILDER to me!
                      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I wonder whether my GG grandfather or my G grandfather were in your photo. They were both painters & decorators and GG grandfather was living at 64 Sutherton Road in the 1911 census!
                        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                        X