Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big ?

How do I enter into FTM....

I have in my family, a person who changed his name when he became knighted. So he is a Sir.. That part is easy....But do you list him by his birth name, the hypenated name or what? Also this lot married ladies..how do you put them in....they aren't christened as ladies or sirs....hoping some of you Poms migh be able to help here ( No offence BTW ).

I don't want to post actual names here, as the current Earl..is still alive...So:

Child born to lets say...John Smith and Jane Citizen.named John
    marries Lady Person.
    Child of John and Lady Person..is born Person Smith ( given mothers maiden name as first name)
    Child of Person Smith gets knighted and changes his name to Person Person-Smith.
    All subsequent future Earls carry the Person-Smith surname.

So, do you enter them by their bith name, then add notes??
    Confused, cause it makes searching for them very difficult...also hyphenated names..space between the first and second names, with dash in the middle???

hope this isn't too convoluted!!

jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Hi Jackie, what I've done for titled people is to add the title box to the details on the right, where Birth, marriage death are, by using Custom View and adding the box. I've also had people change their names completely so in this case I've added the AKA box and put the alternative name in there. They are however only shown in the index by their original name, I don't know if this can be altered. If they have children once they have changed their names, I use the new name for the children so that then appears in the index.

Hope you understand my explanation!

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

If you are entering double barreled names then you can use the backslash to indicate which part of the name is the surname.

For example if you enter the name as
      Charles de la Houssaye Bouverie
      then the surname in your index would be Bouverie and the first names Charles de la Houssaye

However, if you enter it as
      Charles \de la Houssaye Bouverie\
      then the surname in your index would be de la Houssaye Bouverie and the first name Charles
      Elaine

Comment

First thing to do is to use a good family history such as Brothers Keeper.
        Such programs allow for the use of titles, prefixes and suffixes plus alternative names. ;)

Some poor quality though very popular programs do not have such facilities.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Or have plebby relatives like the rest of us. Not a hyphen or a knighthood amongst them!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Or have plebby relatives like the rest of us. Not a hyphen or a knighthood amongst them!
            LOL Nell......actually most of mine are plebs....this lot took me by surprise! Thanks everyone for your help!
            Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Different FT programs treat hyphenated surnames differently. I found that FTM 2005 needed an underline instead of a hyphen, but FTM 2010 seems to cope OK with hyphens. Though if your double-barrelled name is so posh it doesn't have a hyphen, you may need to think again!
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X