Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Mary born a Hobbis?

The Question

What is the maiden name of Mary Willoughby?

What is known.

1828 – 11 June baptism of Robert - parents are Charles (meatman) and Mary
    1831 – 10 July baptism of Matilda – parents are Charles (farmer of Grove) and Mary
    1834 - 16 July baptism of Charles – parents are Charles (farmer of Grove) and Mary
    1841 - Grove Village HO107,30.12/4.2 .
    1851 – Widow, Farmer of 110 acres Ardington, Berks. HO107/1689/485/9
    1861 - with son Robert in Mill House in the Village, Ardington, RG09/738/102/13
    1865 - National Probate Calendar - 27 Sept. The Will of Mary Willoughby formerly of Grove, Wantage but late of Ardington Berks, Widow who died 5 Jan 1865 at Ardington was proved at Oxford by the oaths of Rhoda Godfrey of East Challow and Edward Ormond of Wantage, Gentleman the executors Effects under L800

Where I’ve looked and not found the answer.

I have two CDs from the Oxfordshire FHS –
    OXF – WAN01 - the parish register transcripts for Wantage, Chilton, East Lockinge, Grove, Hanney Letcombe Basset, Letcombe Regis, and Sparsholt. And
    OXF – WAN02 – the parish register transcripts for Ardington, Blewbury, Denchworth, East Challow, East Hendred, Goosey, Harwell Upton and West Hendred

Family Story handed down
    In 1958 Great Aunt Lottie journeyed back to England to visit the stomping grounds of her youth around Silchester and, where her father had spent his youth in Wantage. She left a “memorandum” of her findings. She visited Bridge Farm where the miller suggested they visit May Willoughby.
    “After lunch we went to vist Miss May Willoughby who told us about the Willoughby family giving the names of Leonard, Sarah, Mary and Elizabeth Hobbis. She told us about a crayon drawing of Benjamin Hobbis …….this picture was left by will C. Lalonde Esq ….. She said that her Aunt Mary’s Fathers Mother was a Miss Hobbis”

From my searchings in the census and parish records I find that Robert and Elizabeth had nine children – Henry James, Charles Hobbis, Sarah, Leonard Joseph, Elizabeth Hobbis, Matilda, Mary, Geoffrey and Martha. Matilda married William Lalonde. Leonard was May’s father.
    So May’s memories seem reliable. Interesting that she should state that Aunt Mary’s father’s mother rather than her dad’s father’s mother. Aunt Mary’s father is Robert whose mother is Mary.

In the censuses Mary Willoughby is consistent with her age making her birth in 1799 in Grove outside Wantage. And my great great great grandmother Elizabeth Hobbis had a sister Mary Hobbis born 1799.

So I am asking the experts here - Is this enough evidence to declare Mary a Hobbis?? Or Maybe one of you can find the marriage of Charles Willoughby to Mary Unknown. Thanks for your help.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

I think you'll have to go on what your usual approach is.

Some people will enter names into their trees only under belt-and-braces verification; others (like me) will include names on the balance of probabilities, being careful to make some flag to indicate that there is still some doubt.

I find it helpful to include these "probables" - and even some "possibles" - because I find it helps me to see where I might look for more info, and what to look for.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Cousin,
      I have puzzled over this one on and off since you emailed about it back in November- so sorry I haven't got round to answering yet and a belated Happy New Year to you.
      I recognised the surname Willoughby - feel sure I saw it on one of the Hobbis wills but can't for the life of me find it now :( I'll keep looking.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
      X