James Tink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Tink

Please can I have some help with James and Anne Tink. James was born in Plymouth and I can see a James Tink in the 1861 census in Portsea married to Helen with a daughter Helen. In the 1881 census I can see a James Tink married to Anne in Portsea a naval pensioner with a daughter Annie my great-grandmother, but also another James Tink from Plymouth onboard a ship.

Could James have married Helen and then Anne or do you think there are two seperate guys?

Confused - Di

I think the children may give a clue. The 1881 family (at Upper Hardway, Alverstoke) has a daughter Annie H Tink aged 14 b. Portsea. Her birth is q4 1866 Portsea Island vol. 2b page 424. She went on to marry (as Annie Hester) q1 1887 at Alverstoke either Arthur Frank Beams or Alfred Joseph Woodman.
    The 1861 family (at 46 Hawk Street??, Portsea) has a daughter Helen aged 1 month b. Hampshire. Her birth is registered as ELLEN, q2 1861 Portsea Island 2b 864.

I can't find a reliable sighting of either family in 1871.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Annie Hester married Alfred Joseph Woodman my great-grandfather, but I can't find a marriage anywhere for James and Ann Wareham who I believe to have the surname Newton.

Will have to give the GRO some money again.

Di

Comment

Did you get the parents' names from Annie Hester's birth certificate?

I've had a trawl through Ann Wareham marriages. There's one in q1 1850 in Southampton vol 7 page 240 with a Mary Ann Wareham and no maching male. There's another in 1856 in Portsea Island but that has 3 males and 2 females.

Comment

There is a marriage for James Tink at Portsea, Sept qtr 1865, 2b 710, and an Ann Wareham Newton is also shown with the same reference.

merleyone

Comment

Having looked for James etc in the 1871 & 1881 census, here is a little more for you.
            In the 1871 census transcript, James Tink, 36, b. Devon is shown on board vessel Victoria & Albert 'of Portsmouth Harbour'. See RG10, Piece 1134, Folio 189, Page 10.
            The Victoria and Albert was the Royal Yacht launched in 1855 and remained as the chief RY until 1901, before disposal in 1904.
            In the same census, James is also shown with his wife, Annie, 40, and dtr, Annie,4, at Hanover Street, Portsea. See RG10, Piece 1131, Folio 86, Page 10.

In the 1881 census, James is certainly with his wife and daughter at Hardway but it must also be him listed as an AB Pensr on board HMS Asia, notwithstanding the apparent age difference. HMS Asia was launched in 1824 but by 1879 had been the guard ship at Portsmouth for at least 20 years and, in due course, became a de-masted ship accommodating seamen awaiting a draft to another ship, long before any barracks were built to house them. There were many naval pensioners shown on HMS Asia in 1881 and naval pensioners were often employed by the Navy to augment the crew for these guardships & hulks, which never went anywhere, as the stay on board for serving members of the Navy would only be transitory and might be just a few days or weeks.

Hope this helps.

merleyone

Comment

How odd. I can't see that marriage on Ancestry at all. But the whole story is quite fascinating.

Comment

There 's a record here for a James Tink, born Stonehouse, Devon, 1835, who joined the RN in 1857. You can download it for £3.50

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  How odd. I can't see that marriage on Ancestry at all. But the whole story is quite fascinating.
                  I see now. FreeBMD can't make up their mind about the surname spelling. I've submitted a correction.

Comment

James Tink, born Stonehouse about 1835 - in 1841 he was age 6 with Rick age 80, Loveday age 70, Luke age 30,
                    and Elizabeth age 11 (all surname Tink) and Robt Cuddeford age 30 in George Street, East Stonehouse.
                    Last edited by Joy Dean; 21-01-11, 23:22.
                    Joy

Comment

Many thanks for all your help. Just wish I could find out if it is him with Helen in an earlier census in Portsea. My grandmother was named Alice Helen.

Di

Comment

I can't help with James Tink and Helen etc. but I had some problem with accessing the actual schedules for the 1871 & 1881 censuses, which I have now resolved. I now find that the schedules on which James Tink is listed on Naval ships in 1871 & 1881 were manually amended to show that they are actually lists of Officers, Boys, Seamen, Marines and other persons etc NOT on board the respective ships on the census nights.
                        I have never seen this before but it does explain how James Tink and other men have been shown twice in each census. I guess that the RN in its infinite wisdom merely listed all men from the Ships Book, with separate lists for those on board and those not.
                        The transcripts give no hint of this peculiarity and logically, each man appearing on a list of men not on board should appear elsewhere.

At least I now know that a family member of mine shown on HMS Asia in 1881 as well as at home with his wife & family, was definitely not in two places at once!

merleyone

Comment

Originally posted by merleyone View Post
                          I can't help with James Tink and Helen etc. but I had some problem with accessing the actual schedules for the 1871 & 1881 censuses, which I have now resolved. I now find that the schedules on which James Tink is listed on Naval ships in 1871 & 1881 were manually amended to show that they are actually lists of Officers, Boys, Seamen, Marines and other persons etc NOT on board the respective ships on the census nights.
                          I have never seen this before but it does explain how James Tink and other men have been shown twice in each census. I guess that the RN in its infinite wisdom merely listed all men from the Ships Book, with separate lists for those on board and those not.
                          The transcripts give no hint of this peculiarity and logically, each man appearing on a list of men not on board should appear elsewhere.

At least I now know that a family member of mine shown on HMS Asia in 1881 as well as at home with his wife & family, was definitely not in two places at once!

merleyone
                          I have more than one of these in our trees. That is to say - in one case, the only record of my ancestor that I have found in the 1871 census is that he was not on board his ship!

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That is fascinating.
                            Di

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                              James Tink, born Stonehouse about 1835 - in 1841 he was age 6 with Rick age 80, Loveday age 70, Luke age 30,
                              and Elizabeth age 11 (all surname Tink) and Robt Cuddeford age 30 in George Street, East Stonehouse.
                              I worked out from the censuses that this is a different family. James Tink b. Stonehouse appears as a parallel person.

Comment

Oh dear UJ....I think the James Tink born in East Stonehouse is the same one married to Helen then Annie!
                                East Stoneham is about a mile from Plymouth.
                                1841; age 6 in East Stonehouse
                                1851;
                                1861; in Portsea age 25, mariner, b Plymouth married to Helen
                                1871; 2 entries; 1) at home with Annie; b Plymouth age 36 Stationer Master
                                2) NOT on vessel; Quarter Master age 36 b Stonehouse, Devon
                                1881; 2 entries; 1) at home with Annie b Plymouth age 47 Naval Pensioner
                                2) NOT on vessel; AB Pensioner age 44 b Stonehouse, Devon

If the record at TNA are correct then he joined the navy in 1857, so I think he probably married Helen between then & 1860, probably in Devon, as she is also from there. I've tried every combination of Tink/Sink/Link etc, but can't find a marriage. I also can't find a death for Helen Tink in Portsea, presumably she died between 1861 & 1865 when he remarried Annie Wareham Newton.
                                I can't find him in 1851, even using *ink on FMP. I've found Luke Tink (possibly his father) in 1851, he had remarried to a Mary Mew. His sister Elizabeth has possibly married before 1851.
                                Rather than fork out for certificates, I'd be tempted to have a look at the parish records for Portsea (as you live in Hampshire) & see if you can find the births/deaths/marriage.

There is a James Luke Tink baptism at St Andrews, Plymouth on 18th Jan 1835 to Luke & Mary Ann Tink, labourer of George Street, Stonehouse.
                                Also Luke Tink marriage to Mary Ann Medders at St Andrews on 4th July 1829.
                                ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

I humbly stand corrected.

Comment

Just used the TNA Quicksearch and found some references to the name, including:
                                    ADM 101/125/5
                                    Medical journal of HMS Virago for 1 July 1853 to 30 June 1854 by Henry Trevan, surgeon, during which time the said ship was employed in the Pacific. Includes details on two expeditions across the isthmus of Darien in Panama, the practicability of a ship canal, and the rescue of some of the crew of the USS Cyane.
                                    which includes
                                    Folio 2: James Tink, aged 19, ordinary; sick or hurt, wound of head; put on sick list 20 July 1853, discharged 24 July 1853 to duty.
                                    and
                                    Folio 6: James Tink, aged 20, able seaman; sick or hurt, ulcer of leg; put on sick list 14 March 1854, discharged 22 March 1854 to duty.
                                    Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank-you both so much, I was convinced I had the right one although always ready to be corrected.

Have definitely planned a day at the Portsmouth records office.

Di

Comment

Christine that's a good find. My gut instinct was that he was at sea in 1851, being age 16 & living on the coast. I wonder if the 1857 date for joining was either a re-enlistment, or had he been in the merchant navy previously?
                                        Di, let us know what you find at Portsmouth.
                                        ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Working...
                                        X