Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernian marine school- Dublin

Hi all,
    Does anybody know if the admissions registar can be viewed online?
    trying to confirm my great grandfather went here 1906-1912,

Does anybody have any information on the school?

We were told his Aunts paid for his private education- if it was a chariety school would this be so?

His name was Robert Hughes
    Born 19/08/1894 Holyhead
    We have been told he went there after his mother died in 1906

gemma

Hi - might be worth contacting Trinity College in Dublin - if they don't have records they should be able to tell you where to try - seems that there was a military school with the name...was he in the Forces?

Comment

You might like to try the following websites:

The Hibernian Military School Dublin and the RMA (Royal Military Asylum) Chelsea are closely linked under the name Duke of York School now, though in the 1700's/1800's they were separate establishments for the children of serving/retired military personnel, but if it is the Marine School you are after the above website at Friends Reunited should help you. The Hibernian Marine School Dublin was a Charity School and as such would have been free for certain participants, ie sons and often daughters of a seafaring father.

If you input "Hibernian Marine School Dublin" into a gogle search you will come up with even more information and other places to research.

It is very doubtful you will find what you are looking for online. I had to do a fair bit of research into my RMA ancestors records, but by delving into a google search may get you some info which can send you to the correct place.

Unfortunately Ireland has a policy of having to obtain permission to view many of their records via Freedom of Information Office in Dublin, which sent me round and round in cirles last year looking for possible records for an ancestor in 1912 at the Baltimore Industrial School in Cork as well as an orphanage in Clonakilty. In the end I was told there were no records, yet I know there were records for the orphanage in Clonakilty!!! So good luck!"

You might be better off looking for possible navy/army records for Robert Hughes' father. Another possibility is to look for Robert Hughes own Navy/Army records which will give you more details. He would have been old enough at 20 to be conscripted at age 22 in 1916 in the First W War .

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 21-01-11, 11:10.

Comment

Gemma, I can confirm that he was a pupil there. No, I haven't seen the register but I have been researching this and other schools through examination results published in the newspapers. The best source is a Dublin newspaper called The Daily Express. It's available on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin and probably also in some libraries in England.

Andrew

Originally posted by GemmaMcManus View Post
        Hi all,

We were told his Aunts paid for his private education- if it was a chariety school would this be so?

Born 19/08/1894 Holyhead

gemma

Comment

Originally posted by GemmaMcManus View Post
          Hi all,

Born 19/08/1894 Holyhead

gemma
          Hi Gemma,
          i think this is him at the school in the 1911 Irish census:
          Image here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000019588/ - line 2
          Transcription/overview here:http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...eld_Road/4431/

I can't find him in Ireland in 1901 - but do you already know his whereabouts pre-1906?
          Christine
          Last edited by Karamazov; 25-06-15, 14:48.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
          X