I the Electoral roll online ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I the Electoral roll online ?

Sorry if a stupid question, but I wondered if electoral rolls are listed online any where ?
    In particular 1920's onwards ?
    Kind regards......John

No they aren't. There is a website (I think subscription only) where you can look at current electoral rolls, but of course people can choose for their details not to be released anyway.

Historic electoral rolls are at the British Library and records offices/local history centres/some libraries. Sometimes they are handsomely bound, sometimes they are crumbling looseleaf papers and sometimes they've been microfilmed.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ok, thanks for your reply.
      Regards......John

Comment

You could contact the local reference/central library or records office for the area and ask for the years required to find out if they have them or are kept elsewhere.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Be aware that you need an address to search old Electoral Rolls as they are arranged by address, not by name.

OC

Comment

Anyone looking for an electoral roll in Essex could be lucky. The Essex Record Office have images of the 1918 and 1929 registers online. I've just spent a happy morning looking up the village of Heybridge Basin where I live. Names are listed alphabetically - with address column (though its such a tiny place the address is mostly just "Basin" then columns to show whether they qualify to vote in Parliamentary or District elections, or both and codes to show how they qualify - men usually by Residence or Occupation, women often by their husband's residence
            Last edited by JudithM; 21-01-11, 13:34.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Here at Anguline Research Archives we have an ongoing project to digitise the Wakefield electoral rolls and Burgess registers.
              We have already published the 1832-1858, 1864-1879 & 1911-1919 on cd and are working on the 1880-1910 at present.
              More will swiftly follow.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Interesting replies, thanks.
                Now my local office has re-opened after a re-fit I can get myself down there to have a look.
                (after I get a bank loan to pay for parking )
                Regards......John

Comment

Electoral rolls for Birmingham are online up to 1955 via http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/ as pay per view or subscription.
                  Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                  http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                  X