Canada 1920/30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada 1920/30's

Fil was sent to Woodstock, Ontario, Canada as a 15 yr old in 1924 with the Salvation Army to become a farmer. He worked at various farms for first 2 years before he decided to go off on his own. The Salvation Army sent me everything they had for those 2 years until he left.

He remained in Canada for a further 10 years returning to UK in 1936 from Ontario.

Is there any way of finding out what happened to him or where he went during those 10 years?

OH and I are going to US/Canada in May and plan to visit Woodstock but wonder where else we might try to find info from beforehand.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I suppose it's unlikely that he bought a property. I have one person who remained in Canada and I was able to get his 1930 land grant from the Saskatchewan archives. Have you found him on a UK incoming passenger list? I don't supppose that would give any clues.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes UJ - I have him going out and coming back.

Highly unlikely he bought anything - most likely an ag lab or labourer.

The Salvation Army were very helpful in Canada, unfortunately the UK records were lost during the war - I'd loved to have seen the paperwork of how he got to go.

In some ways I was hoping there was a bit of scandal - makes it more interesting. OH was an only child and both his parents died when he was a boy and he was then looked after by his maternal grandmother for awhile before going into care. When his granny died all the family papers/photos were lost too.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Probably no scandal at all, merely an earnest and well-meant endeavour by the Salvation Army to give him a good opportunity in life . Britain was in the grip of a deep economic recession in the 1920s and he would most likely have struggled to get any kind of work in the UK, let alone the chance of a useful trade.

OC

Comment

Just a thought - have you seen the National Archives of Canada website? There might just be something there. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...n/index-e.html
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ - unfortunately the site has technical difficulties - will try again tomorrow.

OC - I was thinking of in Canada lol!!

Comment

Working...
            X