Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born at sea

Hi There
    I have a Mary Ann Doughty born at sea to parents Edward Doughty a Soldier and wife Mary.Mary Ann was born about 1820.looking for any shipping records that would hold information about her birth. Mary Ann married Thomas Coyle in Dublin Ireland. they came to a Australia on 3/10/1840 aboard the Lord Western they also had a child Elizabeth born on the voyage to Australia.
    after arriving in Australia they settle around Mudgee N.S.W they had four more children Hannah,Sophia,Thomas and Elizabeth the second. I can't find a death record for Elizabeth first. I have two shipping entry one document I have says that Mary was born at Lea? I Think they mean at sea another says born at sea native place is Dublin. I don't have there marriage certificate and would also like to find Thomas birth certificate his father is John and mother Jane native place Dublin but finding Irish certificates seem pretty hopeless. I would be grateful for any help ossiegirl
    Last edited by ossiegirl; 20-01-11, 20:27.

Is there an army record for the father? It might have details of children.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Jay
      Thank you for your reply, I don't know if the army records go back that far or where to start to look for them
      ossiegirl
      Last edited by ossiegirl; 20-01-11, 21:53.

Comment

Ossiegirl.............I haven't forgotten you...........just between school holidays and floods, I've not had time to blink. Things are getting better though.

My OH's great grandfather was born at sea (Cape of Good Hope) on the voyage here in 1853. He was registered in Sydney, although their first stop was actually Melbourne.

Comment

Thank you naomiatt for that information
          and Harry mum thank you also for not giving up on my other reseach I will let you know if I receive and further information that may help. I noticed that all Henry junior's children were called by there second names so may be Henry was Henry senior second name
          ossiegirl

Comment

Findmypast have the earlier Army Records and Findmypast also have Army BMD back to approx 1780, to be found in the overseas section. You can obtain credits for this site.

I have Just looked, and there are 4 Edward Doughty on FMP Army Records. One born 1787 Chamba, West India Regt. There are 9 images for this soldier. Others may be too late for you at 1827/1868 and one unknown date. You will not find statutory protestant records pre 1845 and no Catholic statutory records pre 1864 in Ireland. All records pre those dates are Parish Records to be found in Ireland only!! All parish records can now be accessed through the Dublin National Library at Dublin. very few are on the IGI but a few more may be accessible through the new Family Search site.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 21-01-11, 13:59.

Comment

The overseas BMD records are also available free of charge at www.familyrelatives.com
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you for that information Janet and Uncle John I will look into it
                ossiegirl

Comment

Working...
                X