The best way to follow this up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to follow this up

This is for a friend who is just starting out with her family history (though I'm not much more advanced as you'll have noticed)

I've emailed to check for additional details, but this is what I've got so far.

She's from Nottingham & has got information from her family there saying that there was a William Henry Hudson who was born in Nottingham in 1855.

She's found the wedding of William Henry Hudson to Sophia Wheatley in 1875 at St Stephen's Church, Sneinton, Nottingham (the right area for her Hudson family)

She's found the death of Sophia in 1877 (in Nottingham)

She says she can't find William on any census records...the only William Henry Hudson she can find of the correct age is in Yorkshire on the 1871 census.

Am I right in thinking that the best way forward is to compare the two fathers' names & occupations of the William Henry Hudsons ?

As I said, I'm waiting for her to get back to me to confirm the details, but would this be the best way, & then, if their fathers match, to look for the death of William in Yorkshire between 1871 & 1881 &, if not, look for his death anywhere ?

I was going to say look for the couple in a census together but it looks like she died after 2 years marriage - what was the cause of death - were there any children?

Has Sophia been found in the 1871 census? perhaps the William lived nearby - did he use his middle name on the census - could it be mistranscribed as Hodson?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There is a William Hudson born in Radford, Nottingham in 1852, father Eleazer mother Hannah on 1861 census. I found him on 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses in Nottingham - he is a lace bleacher. From 1881 he is married to Harriet Roberts. Does any of this information match what your friend already has?

1861 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=22174062
      1871 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=4903572
      1881 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...n&st=r&ssrc=&p

Linda

This William married Harriet in 1874 so probably not him.
      Last edited by ozgirl; 19-01-11, 17:20.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks very much....please keep coming up with relevant questions. From what she's said Sophia wasn't on the 1871 census, but I'll check

Comment

Is William Henry Hudson one of her direct ancestors? If so she really needs to concentrate on the son/daughter of William finding him/her in all censuses and checking the information on his/her marriage and birth certificates. These will give pointers to the correct William, as well as his occupation, and the birth certificate with give the mother´s maiden name which should help finding the correct marriage for her parents.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks ozgirl & Elaine (sorry ozgirl, I missed you the last time I was here). I'm not sure if he was a direct ancestor, Elaine (I will ask !) This is someone who has contacted me because I also have Hudsons in Nottingham (there were a lot of them about & we can't see a link yet) Probably not the one in Radford, ...I think she's looked at quite a few "plain William Hudsons", but I'll check, just in case
            Last edited by greyingrey; 19-01-11, 19:58.

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
              Thanks very much....please keep coming up with relevant questions. From what she's said Sophia wasn't on the 1871 census, but I'll check
              maybe this one, it looks very likely:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3522; Folio: 16; Page: 26; GSU roll: 839751.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

sophias occupation in the 1871 was Frameworknitting.
                Julie

Comment

there is this william, in 1871 in st anns well rd.. a lodger

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3518; Folio: 54; Page: 47; GSU roll: 839749.

his occ is bleacher and a different one to the one Linda found. :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

Thank you very much Julie..

Comment

Did you see that she is on someones tree - according to that tree William Henry joined the navy after his wife died - in 1881 he is on a ship

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...&st=r&ssrc=pt_

Linda
                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Oh, thank you ozgirl....I didn't have time to do any more last night & I was waiting for the person to get back to me

Comment

Working...
                        X