Rotherham Parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotherham Parish records

As many members know I have a lot of ancestors from this neck of the woods. If any members are looking for ancestors in Rotherham there are an increasing number coming on line. Genuki has parish records fo the following parishes - Ravenfield, Hooton Roberts and Kimberworth. The records for Kimberworth have only just gone on line(this year)and I think there are plans to put Rawmarsh parish records on line. Also, Ancestry has records for Braithwell and Wath upon Dearne.

If any one has ancestors in other areas of Rotherham I periodically visit the Archives and am happy to look for information so long as I am given an approximate year and parish to look for. I also have a disc from the Rotherham Family History Society of marriages which took place in All Saint's Church Rotherham (now Rotherham Minster) and I am waiting for a disc to arrive through my letter box of non conformist records. I am desperately hoping I can knock down a few brick walls!!

Happy hunting, Sandra

Thanks for that Sandra

I have family in Kimberworth on 1891 and 1901 census. Will have a look when I have a moment.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I have just been trying to sort my complicated Ripley, Hague and Dunns families out in Kimberworth on the parish records you recommended.

It gets more complicated by the minute but lovely to find something new to get your teeth into.

Thanks Sandra
      Lin

Comment

Thanks for the info Sandra. My friend's ancestors come from Rotherham so I'll go and have a look.
        Jenny

Comment

Hi all,

Quick update, there are now burials on line for Kimberworth 1843 - 1899 (these went on yesterday) http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...ham/index.html

Sandra

Comment

Thanks Sandra

My G Grandfather and his family were in Kimberworth 1891 and 1901.

I know what I am doing tonight.
            Lin

Comment

I know from the 1911 census that my Grandma had 2 siblings that had died before 1911. One I know about as she was on 1891 census and I had found a death record for her and the other one was unknown to me.

They travelled from Kimberworth to Nottingham where my Grandma was born then back to Kimberworth by 1901 so didn't know where to look for the other child.

I have found the burial of Edith Ellen Dunn who I knew about and also one for Henry Dunn. Looked for a birth for him and it the only one is Henry Carter Dunn and his mothers maiden name was Carter.

I have e-mailed the the archives to find out how much for a copy of the burials plus a couple of others that I know belong to me. I can't justify the death certs but this will be great. It said 45p each on the web site but thought I would check first.
              Lin

Comment

Just to let you know that I ordered some burial records from Rotherham archives and they have arrived and the service was excellant and very reasonably priced.

I now have some info on 2 of my Grandmothers siblings without paying out for death certs so very happy.
                Lin

Comment

Lin,

Why didn't you ask. I have been to the archives today I could have found the information for you. In addition to which I have the National Burial Index. If you need any more information I go quite regularly.

Sandra

Comment

Rawmarsh (baptisms), Bolton on Dearne parish records, and Harthill (grave transcriptions) are now on Genuki . Jack Parry who has done all the transcriptions is a star. Thanks to him I have found loads of information which would have taken me so much longer to find.

Sandra

Comment

I have just contacted Jack Parry to offer my thanks for all his hard work in transcribing the Rotherham Parish records and to ask if he has any plans to transcribe other records in the area. I have just received a reply. He has a list of records to transcribe, all in the Rotherham area. On th list are:

South Anston Bishops Transcripts
                      Bolton upon Dearne Bishops Transcripts
                      Darfield
                      Dinnington
                      Greasborough
                      Mexborough
                      Swinton
                      Todwick
                      Wath upon Dearne
                      Wentworth
                      Bolton Methodist

So, if any one has any interests in these areas watch this space - I will up date as and when they come on line.

Comment

Thanks for this info. I have some of my family and a lot of my husband's family from this neck of the woods. I've not been doing a lot of research recently as I've hit complete stops with a lot of them. Maybe some of this might set me off again.
                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I've started looking at the Rawmarsh records. I've already found 2 new pieces of info - one new father's name, and one incorrect father's name. Too late to be doing this!!
                          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

bmd's are now on genuki for the period 1568 - 1949 for Laughton on le Morthen Rotherham.

Also, South Anston bmd's 1550 - 1949, and Woodsets - Baptisms, 1841-1939, marriages 1842 - 1949 burials 1843 -1978

Sandra
                            Last edited by Sherbertrose; 08-06-11, 20:22.

Comment

Darfield (Barnsley)parish records are now on genuki baptisms 1598 - 1812, marriages 1598 - 1754, burials 1598 - 1669

Sandra
                              Last edited by Sherbertrose; 28-06-11, 21:12.

Comment

I am doing some family research from Australia and recently stumbled onto the Bolton Upon Dearne Parish records. These are really great and have provided me with information that I couldn't find on other main stream web sites. My Great Grandmother x 4 was Amelia Hague (also spelt Haigh in some records) who married Benjamin Knowles from the parish of Sheffield at Bolton Upon Dearne in 1804. Amelia was born in 1783 but shows up on the Parish Baptism Records as Midred Hague her parents were Robert and Rachel.

I would like to know if in fact there was a transcription error in the Baptism record and it would be really great if anyone has any more information on the family in this location as I can not find any further record from Bolton Upon Dearne. I do know that Benjamin, Amelia and son Thomas moved to Leicester sometime before 1813 and Amelia was buried at Gleadless Christchurch Sheffield in 1855.

Comment

This could either be a mis transcription if the writing was really bad or the Vicar not hearing properly as most poeple back them were illiterate and had to believe what the Vicar had written.

If you are sure you have the right person I would just accept it as right.
                                  Lin

Comment

Amelia "Mildred" Hague

Thank you for the information. The pieces seem to be coming together and I suspect that Amelia's baptismal name was Mildred. I have subsequently found records that indicate that her father died when she was 5 (1789) and her mother Rachel remarried a Robert Tounsee (probably Townson or Townsend) when she was 8 (1793) at Bolton Upon Dearne.

I have also found a baptism record for a son William at Doncaster in 1807. The record shows that the father was Benjamin Knowles and the mother Mille Townsend. Not quite exact but a striking similarity. Still looking for the baptism of their son Thomas baptised somewhere in this general locality between 1804 and 1812.

Comment

Latest update... Mexborough baptism records are now on line 1562 - 1873. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any one in my tree who is likely to be in these records. However, they may help other people.

Sandra

Comment

Greasbrough Parish records - baptisms, marriages and burials 1747-1899 http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...ham/index.html

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                                        X