Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find marriage record - tearing hair out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find marriage record - tearing hair out!

Hello,
    Do any of you have any idea how I could progress?
    I am trying to find the marriage record for my GG grandparents -
    John Haughton b. 1858 in Leigh, Lancashire and Fanny Davies b. 1860 in Pendleton, Lancashire.
    I have found them on census records including the 1911 which says they have been married for 33 years so I take it they married 1878 give or take a couple of years.
    I have search on Ancestry.co.uk, Local BMD and the IGI but can find no record.
    I have tried Houghton and Fannie as alternatives but with no joy.
    I am desperate to find this and get a copy of the certificate so that I can determine the Fanny is the daughter of Stephen Davies who was born in Hawarden, Flintshire.
    The family always believed she was born in Wales but I think she was born in Pendleton to her Welsh parents.
    It is possible that Salford/Pendleton marriage records are not complete as I am also unable to fing a marriage for John and Fanny's son John Sephen Haughton to Clara Howard. This would have been around 1917.
    Could anyone help Please?

Dec qtr 1877 John Houghton married Fanny Davies - Bury district, Ref, 8c 636. Is this the one ?
    :D Carolyn

Comment

Originally posted by Muppet View Post
      I am also unable to fing a marriage for John and Fanny's son John Sephen Haughton to Clara Howard. This would have been around 1917.
      Marriages Jun 1911 (free BMD)
      Haughton John S
      Howard Clara
      Salford 8d 32
      Elaine

Comment

Gosh that was quick. It could well be, though why Bury I am not sure. I will order this cerificate and see. What search did you use to bring that up. I have been struggling for days?

Comment

There is a marriage on Lancs BMD between John Haughton and Fanny Davies at Stand, All Saints, Bury in 1877. Looks like the same one but with the surname spelt differently
          Jackie

Comment

Why am I so useless at this? Thanks Elaine. Is Free BMD differant to the Local BMD UK?

Comment

Problem with local BMD sites is that they are not necessarily complete, although in this case both marriages do appear on Lancs BMD.
              Elaine

Comment

I found the marriage on Free BMD using John Haughton but ticked the phonetic spelling box, it may be a mistranscription and the original did sau Haughton.
                :D Carolyn

Comment

Whereabouts were they on the 1881 census?

Comment

This would be so uncanny if it is them. I have been searching and they in fact married at the same church I did. Although is says Bury, Stand All Saints is actually Whitefield and sort of next door to Salford where they lived.

Comment

This is the link for Lancs BMD

Jackie

Comment

Thanks for that useful tip Carolyn.

Comment

Thank you Night Owl

Comment

in 1881 they were in Pendleton, Salford. Sadly poor John Haughton came to a very grisly end. He was a platelayer on the Lancs and Yorkshire railway and was working in a tunnel one day when a train came through with no warning. He was decapitated. I know he was alive on the 1911 census but suspect it was soon after that that he died. His son, John Stephen identified him and suffered blackouts as a result for the rest of his life.

Comment

What a ghastly tragedy Muppet

My ex's gt grandfather died of shock, caused by injuries when he was run over by an underground tram in a coal mine. The tram was supposed to have a safety brake mechanism which wasn't working. I don't have all the details yet, but what an awful end. He was 49 and left twelve children aged between 24 and 7.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

in 1881 they were in Pendleton, Salford. Sadly poor John Haughton came to a very grisly end. He was a platelayer on the Lancs and Yorkshire railway and was working in a tunnel one day when a train came through with no warning. He was decapitated. I know he was alive on the 1911 census but suspect it was soon after that that he died. His son, John Stephen identified him and suffered blackouts as a result for the rest of his life.
                                presumably you have contacted the Library local to the event to see if it was covered by the press? you can often get some great bits of info that way
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have you tried searching the Railways Archives
                                  If you can find a death for him in the BMD index it would help as you need to refine your search using the railway company and date.
                                  Elaine

Comment

A possible death for John?
                                    John Haughton - Oct-Dec 1911 - aged 54 - Salford ref 8d 117
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The John S Haughton and Clara Howard marriage that Elaine found in 1911 was at Salford St George. Unfortunately the St George registers aren't available yet to view the actual certificates on Family Search pilot site. What a pity they didn't get married at St Philips or somewhere
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Why am I so useless at this? Thanks Elaine. Is Free BMD differant to the Local BMD UK?
                                        Not useless, just not quite familiar with the ways of transcribed records on the varied sites.

All the bmd sites have been indexed and transcribed which means there is a scope for error. Imagine a handwritten "o", it can easily look like an "a" and vice versa for example. The transcriber will enter what they think they can see, plus there is always the problem with typo's that can affect anyone at the best of times.

It's a case of tweaking searches and learning the varied methods you can apply on the different sites. There are some useful examples in the reference library.
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                        X