I am confused.....can you help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am confused.....can you help.

I started looking for Harriet Windover (sometimes spelt Wendover) who was sent to Tasmania as a convict. in 1844.

Her convict records say her father Rober Windover was sent out for 7 years for the same crime.

They were both trialed at The old Bailey and Robert Windover said he had been transported before but got time off for being good...and to please be lenient withim as he was nearly blind.

My problem is......I can;t him listed as a convict arriving in Australia for either transportion.......did he ever actually get sent....or do I have the wrong Robert Windover.

The one I have was born in 28-2-1797 in Otterly Devon....this is the only Robert Windover I could find that matches with Robert Windovers age at his trial....and he did say he was trying to get back to his native place of Devon.

I also found a death for a Robert Windover on 8th May 1848 aged 51 Otterly St Mary Devon.

Have I got the wrong one........or this man really lucky and appears to have been transported twice and never left England.

I understand from the first entry that he was pardoned in 1843...... but did he actually get transported the second time?

Comment

I'm not very familiar with the hulk system; I think some people served out their whole sentence on the hulks.

Comment

So you would agree that I most likely have the right Robert Wendover and that would be his death.

Comment

I think it's possible, but you can't really be 100% sure. If Tony from Oz is around, he may know more about the hulk system. I believe convicts were normally sent to the hulks pending transportation; I'm sure I read somewhere that some convicts served their whole sentence on a hulk, but I can't remember where.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            I think it's possible, but you can't really be 100% sure. If Tony from Oz is around, he may know more about the hulk system. I believe convicts were normally sent to the hulks pending transportation; I'm sure I read somewhere that some convicts served their whole sentence on a hulk, but I can't remember where.
            One of my relatives served his sentence in a hulk and went back to his home in Tewkesbury, Glos., afterwards.

I think also I read somewhere that in the 1850's they stopped the transportations altogether so those who were on the hulks at the time never went anyway.
            Margaret

Comment

Transportation was stopped in Australia in 1853 I think.

I am fairly confident now I have the right Robert Windover......thank you for your help.

If any one has some spare time I would appreciate anyone having a look for his son....I think his name is Charles.

Robert Windover had two daughters Harriet and Catherine who I have found were born in London .....and his marriage to Harriet Collins

Comment

The marriage is on the LMA records at Ancestry - do you have access to them?

Jackie

Comment

Yes I do thank Night Owl.

It is his son I can't find the birth of.

His convict records say he has three children.....2 daughters (which I have found) and one son.....and it looks like his nameis Charles.....but I can't find his birth

Comment

Working...
                  X