Coachman hoods, culchich hall, teddington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coachman hoods, culchich hall, teddington

Hi - Coachman Hoods, Culchich Hall, 80 Broom Road, Teddington, appears in the 1911 census. Harry Holloway, a gardener, and his wife, Sarah Ann, were living there at the time. I'm researching a family who lived there at a later date, and in 1927, the address still shows as Culchich Hall, 80 Broom Road without Coachman Hoods. The only Culchich Hall I can find is in Cheshire. Any ideas please...thanks.

Not quite sure where that address has come from - looking at the form Harry filled out - the address in the bottom right hand corner just shows Culcheth Hall - and looking at the Enumerator's List shows a family? of 8 females at Culcheth Hall, 80 Broom Road - with the next entry - "Stables" showing 1 M + 1F in the name of Holloway

The name shown against the Hall looks like Mullhall - but a quick search doesn't seem to find them

Quite a few of the houses have "posh" names -Elder Bank, Denbar House etc so my guess is they were decent sized houses in a residential street - rather than eg a "Hall" in the sense of a big estate.

On the official 1911 census it looks like there is a seperate entry for 80 Broom Road - as well as "Coachman Hoods" - so it might be worth looking at that - I can't quickly get plain 80 Broom Road on FMP though - and I've got doggies waiting for a run - so no time right now to keep playing around with I'm afraid

Hope this helps a bit - I realise reading through again - I know what I'm trying to say - hope it comes across clearly

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

The enumerator obviously wasn't into attention to detail - the occupants of the big house at 80 Brooms Road (plural - per FMP) spell the name Mulhall - single L - look for Marie born 1886

Cheers
      Sue

Comment

On the old Ordnance Survey maps it is spelt Culcheth Hall. The last map I can see it on is the 1949 map.
        Why is Old Maps no longer available? Over the last 10 years Landmark has partnered with the team at Old Maps to sell our historical mapping data to consumers keen to learn about local history or purchase printed maps for personal or decorative use. Viewing and printing these maps from the Old Maps website was […]

There's a building to the left of it and a building in front of it which could both be possible stables and accommodation within the grounds of the Hall.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

An obituary of June 16, 1897 in the Morning Post refers to Edward Greaves of Culcheth Hall, Teddington, the only son of the late John Greaves of Culcheth Hall, Lancashire. That’s why you will see other references to the Hall apart from Teddington.

The Times of Jun 28, 1928, reports in a properties for sale article that “Culcheth Hall, three acres in Teddington will be offered.”

Edit:
          If you access to the Times archive there's a picture of the house on page 26 of the issue of Saturday, Jul 07, 1928. The houses for sale section.
          Last edited by keldon; 18-01-11, 14:02.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks so much Sue and Phil - interesting isn't it...it seems very likely that the place in Teddington was linked to Lancs..
            Then I wondered if by 1927, that perhaps it became a home. The lady who passed away with that address was
            Sarah Schandalow..the informant was B, C or E Roberts...her grandson. He also used the same address. That particlar Roberts family were originally Doubnikoff..what's difficult is trying to find what happened to the Roberts family.

Comment

Not sure about it's name but my gut feeling is that the house was owned by a family named Blunt and probably rented out to different tenants over the years.There are a number of references in The Times/LG etc - in 1928 Rear Admiral W F (William Frederick) Blunt died in Kenya - having settled there after leaving the navy. In his obit - he is described as the son of Mr F W (Frederick William) Blunt of Culcheth Hall, Teddington - census entries show him as a solicitor and brewery owner - who wasn't ever resident in the house for any of the census nights

In 1904 Montague C Blunt (son of FW) used the Culcheth Hall address to enter a dog at Crufts

In 1890 when a John Greaves died there - it was already known as Culcheth Hall (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/26125/pages/322) so maybe the connection with "up north" comes from the original builder/owner??

As you say - interesting stuff - but doesn't help with your later research though - presumably you have the Roberts connection with Culcheth Hall from the naturalisation of Leon Duobnik (sic) also known as Robert Jacobson and Robert Robert - in 1921

Cheers
              Sue

Comment

Thanks for the further info Sue...I was aware of Robert Robert but not of Robert Jacobson...I'll get mooching!
                Hope the weather is ok where you are...luckily we're on high land and not directly by the river...

Comment

A name like Robert Robert plays havoc with Ancestry's search capabilities I discovered - it brings up millions of possibilities and appears only to search for the single name Robert!! Glad I'm not looking for him!!

I'd better not tempt fate - but so far our little corner of the world is faring fine weather wise - pretty warm and humid but not much rain at all - could actually do with some (just not too much) as our paddocks are starting to get 'crunchy' and I'm having to water every day

Glad to hear you have been in a better position than so many

Cheers
                  Sue

Comment

Working...
                  X