The right Elizabeth Merrin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right Elizabeth Merrin

PLEASE IGNORE THIS & LOOK AT POST NO 2 PLEASE (SORRY CHAPS)

I've got an Elizabeth Merrin who married a Samuel Elliott. They're together on the 1891 & 1901 census in Nottingham (there are at least 2 Samuel/Elizabeth Elliott combinations....this is the Samuel Elliott who had been born in Chard, Somerset)

I can't find any Merrins in Somerset at all during these periods, so I reckon he must have met & married her after he arrived in Nottm (he arrived sometime between the 1881 & the 1891 census)

According to the census records, she was born 1868/69, so the most likely candidate I have for her is an Elizabeth Merrin born Shardlow, Notts, September quarter 1869.

The other Elizabeth Merrins I can find born in Notts are:

Eliza Ann Merrin born Nottm Sep 1873
    Elizabeth Merrin born Doncaster Jun 1878
    Elizabeth Merrin born Nottm Sep 1881
    Lizzie Merrin born Nottm 1887 (so the last 3 seem to be definitely out of it, if the records are reliable)

The problem is that I can't find a matching marriage. I've got an Elizabeth Merrin & Eliza Ann Merrin marrying in Nottingham & I've got a Samuel Elliott marrying in Nottm in March 1880..& another Samuel Elliott marrying in Loughborough in Dec 1879, but my Samuel was still living in Somerset on the 1881 census & neither date fits in with an Elizabeth Merrin marriage.

Could someone help me try & identify my Elizabeth Merrin, please ?
    Last edited by greyingrey; 17-01-11, 16:17.

Apologies to everyone.....got a bit mixed up.

OK.....I'm trying to trace the "Lizie Merrin" who married Samuel Elliott in Nottingham in March Quarter, 1887. According to the census records from 1891 onwards (ie after they were married) she was born 1868. There are 2 candidates born in those years.....one Elizabeth Merrin born Nottm March 1868 & another Elizabeth Merrin born Shardlow, Notts in Sep 1869. I can't find an Elizabeth Merrin marrying in Shardlow so she/her family may have moved to Nottm.

Do you think it's pretty safe to assume that the one who married Samuel Elliott was the one born in Nottm in March 1868 ?

Comment

Have you tried marrying the other Lizzie or seeing where they were 1871?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

is she an Elizabeth or a Lizzie?

there is a Lizzie christened 1868 Nottingham
        Father: George Merrin
        Mother: Sophia Merrin

Appears to have an 1875 sister Annie, and 3 brothers - Edward, Henry & william

1881 census = RG number:
        RG11Piece:
        3352 Folio:
        73Page:
        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-01-11, 17:31.
        Jess

Comment

I would say this is her as the census states she was born Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Births Mar 1868

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
          Merin Elizabeth Nottingham 7b 218
          Lauren =)

Comment

I would say the same as Lauren. Shardlow is on the outskirts of Notts but mainly Derbys so she would have probably put a village as her birth place.

This could be the same person being baptised that Jess has found.

The marriage cert will help but I know you know that!!!!
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks very much, everyone....think I've sorted this out. My money was on the one with the father named George from Nottingham. It looks as though the one from Shardlow moved with her family to Spondon & later married in Derby. Her father was Edward, so I reckon I'm pretty safe with this now

Comment

Working...
              X