Death registration query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death registration query

According to the probate index, Katherine Mary Guthrie "died on or since 28 June 1924 at some place unknown"
    Probate of her estate was granted at Norwich on 16 Jan 1925 to her brother & sister.

My query:
    1) I can find no death registration.
    2) what documentation would have been needed for probate? Death certificate from a dr??

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

hi Jay,

have a look here :smilee:

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I wonder if she went missing and was presumed dead as that wording sounds very odd.

I did a probate a couple of years ago and had to provide the death cert and the will.

I wonder if there was a crime involved with the death and there might be something in the local paper.

Margaret

Comment

Thankyou Julie - seems that link is just a general guide and refers to the producing the death cert issued by the Registrar.

Margaret, thankyou for your input. Yes, the wording IS strange, and suggests perhaps a crime, or her having wandered off from home and met her end. I can't yet find anything on line re a relevant newspaper report, reference to an inquest etc.
        It seems very odd that there is no subsequent death registration - sounds like one I'd like to trach down & have, to solve the mystery.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet,
          If there was no body found then no death certificate would have been issued. As Margaret says, sounds as if she went missing and was presumed dead.
          Elaine

Comment

Yes, the more I think about it the more I think that a death cert of some description must have been given otherwise how would the Probate Office know they could allow someone to disperse assets? Any bank account would not be released without a death cert as I know I had to send off one to every account for the one I did.
            Is it worth contacting the Probate Office where it was handled to see if they will tell you? I have found them all to be very helpful.
            Margaret

Comment

I am also baffled that there is a fairly short time line between the estimated date of death and the date for probate.
              "Missing, presumed dead" use to incur a seven year wait, I think, both for declaration of death and dispersment of effects

I wonder if she'd had some mishap and a body was later discovered and thought to be hers, but it was impossible to put a date on the death???

I may well try the Norwich probate office, Margaret.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                I am also baffled that there is a fairly short time line between the estimated date of death and the date for probate.
                "Missing, presumed dead" use to incur a seven year wait, I think, both for declaration of death and dispersment of effects

I wonder if she'd had some mishap and a body was later discovered and thought to be hers, but it was impossible to put a date on the death???

I may well try the Norwich probate office, Margaret.

Jay
                That would fit that description - especially if the on/after date were when she was last known to have been seen.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

sorry Jay,

I was scrabbling around trying to think of when I had to get letters of administration and what I had to produce and where, as it was only 7 years ago and I went blank. :(
                  Julie

Comment

but do agree something sounds odd, re the wording, and your presumption in #7 makes alot of sense.

dont suppose there is a 'female' Guthrie death anywhere near that date?
                    Julie

Comment

Page 2 of this document gives the current position. It may have been slightly different in 1924. Seven years is the normal period but it can be shorter as this document explains. There is no death certificate and an application has to be made before a judge.
                      When looking for this I found another example of a pilot he took off from Croydon airfield in 1928 to fly to America. Never seen again. Probate granted in 1930. Perhaps her Katherine's case was similar - perhaps a boating accident or something like that, as opposed to just walking out the door never to be seen again.

Last edited by keldon; 17-01-11, 18:24.
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

probably irrelevant but there is a marriage for a Katherine Guthrie in Jun 1922 in Kensington ?

Comment

Thankyou for your input, Val.
                          I think the 1922 marriage was probably for another lady. The probate index states mine was a spinster, and of Crown Road, Great Yarmouth, and she was Katherine Mary.

I think I'll have to try Great Yarmouth newspapers for an explanation of the circumstances. A google has thrown up nothing yet, apart from the fact that she may well have written a book about Yarmouth. I can't source an available copy at present, though.

eta
                          Thankyou, also Keldon, for your post
                          Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Good luck with that and do let us know what you find out
                            Margaret

Comment

Working...
                            X