How to delete a branch in FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to delete a branch in FTM

I have FTM 2011 now and am very happy with it. Downloaded Ancestry tree with no problems - images as well

Would dearly like to remove a large portion that has very little relevance to me. Is there an easy way to do this? Removing the person whose branch I want to delete hasn't worked.

Trina

The first thing you need to do is make a backup copy of your complete file .... just in case! :D

You need to be able to isolate the particular branch you want to delete so the first thing to do is to detach the core member of the branch from the rest of your tree.
    Click on the core member, select PERSON / ATTACH DETACH PERSON / DETACH SELECTED PERSON

If you have a husband & wife you will probably need to detach both of them.

This should then create what is known as an orphan group - a group of people that are not connected to the rest of the data on your tree. Can be as big or small as you want, obviously depends on the size of the branch you want to get rid of.

Then click on the person that you have detached, go to PUBLISH and create an EXTENDED FAMILY CHART for that person. It should bring up the complete orphaned branch that you no longer want.

Right click on any person in the chart - select DELETE FROM FILE / ALL PERSONS IN CHART

It does seem long winded and there may well be a quicker way, but that's the only way I know of doing it.

BUT .... please create a BACKUP before you start!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - seems to have worked! Of course at first I thought I had made a complete pig's ear of it all having already deleted the core person, but by identifying his parents on the Ancestry tree was able to follow your instructions and delete them. Now to remove that backup and replace with a new one!

Comment

Working...
      X