This is odd - Freereg Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is odd - Freereg Norfolk

I've always found Freereg to be a brilliant and accurate resource.

Ever since I began researching over 20 yrs ago, IGI has had the following marriage
    - Mundesley, Norfolk, 28 Nov 1776 , by lic, James Meall & Hannah Boulter.

Tonight I looked on IGI for any children of the marriage and it came up with bp Mundesley, 21 Sep 1777 - Elizabeth Pratt Meall. (Hannah Boulter's sister Elizabeth was Mrs Samuel Pratt.)

I then tried Freereg to see if I could find any other hits for children of James & Hannah Meall
    Much to my surprise, nothing at all came up at Mundesley for Meall - no marriage, no bp for Elizabeth Pratt Meall. I tried entering Hannah's name for the marriage, but had no luck with that either.
    According to the Freereg database, Mundesley ATs for both bps & marr 1725 - 1811 have been completed. So, am I just unlucky that both a marriage AND a baptism for the child of that couple are missing??
    Or am I over-tired and doing something wrong?

(I have a copy of the Norfolk Phillimore CD which includes Mundesley, so have just got that out and it confirms the IGI entry.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

The IGI source shows the record to be a 1971 transcript. Could the original have been water damaged in the 1994 fire & therefore not available to the FreeReg transcribers?
    Glen

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion, Glen. It sounds very feasible.
      I'd completely forgotten all about the fire, as twice I'd taken a week's holiday and more or less camped out at the old record office & library. So, I'd managed to do a lot of hands on searching of Norfolk church records before disaster struck.
      A distant relly read Mundesley and I do have a note that the PR & BT varied slightly and so she only got the full picture after consulting both.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have you looked to see if the relevant images are available on the familysearch website?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell,

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately Mundesley PR is not included on the family search site.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just wondered if your Boulters have anything to do with the mill there?

Samuel Howard jnr was baptised in Mundesley on 15th May 1743, the son of Samuel & Margaret Howard.

A Samuel Howard jnr married Mary Boulter in Mundesley on 24th February 1764.

John Howard, son of Samuel & Mary Howard was born on 17th January 1768.
            Samuel Howard jnr died in January 1817 at the approximate age of 74.

John Howard took over the mill at the approximate age of 49.

Samuel Howard jnr, miller, died in 1817 without making a will. His widow, Mary Howard, in an affidavit dated 14th January 1817, signed by making her mark, that she renounced the right to administer the estate, probably due to her advanced age thus making way for her son John.
            Samuel and Mary's son, John Howard, miller, then made an oath stating that he did not believe his father Samuel had left a will. The administration bond was written on 22nd January 1817 allowing John Howard to take over the administration and he also signed another affidavit to say that his father Samuel did not leave a will.

Comment

Yes, Heather, same extended family.
              That mill site is brilliant, isn't it? I also found refs to the Sparshalls & Seckers on there.
              One of the Boulters (possibly an uncle of the Mary who married Sam Howard) married a Quaker - Rachel Sparshall. Her sister Easter married Isaac Secker and they had the mill at Swafield. A Sparshall cousin had mills at Yarmouth.
              The Quaker branch is much more interesting than the parallel line from which I'm descended!

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X