• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaw's

Looking for ancestors of: Charles Shaw 1805-1887 b.Stockport, Cheshire
    m. Elizabeth Pearson 1806-1861 b.Whitton, Cheshire
    would appreciate any help

Hello Wishful,

welcome to the forum, presumably you have them on some census? what kind of information are you looking for? I notice that there is an Ancestry tree for him giving an exact date of death, is this your tree?

Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-01-11, 15:11.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Welcome to FTF!

There are some useful Cheshire records on the new FamilySearch site. They may be helpful to you.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have found 2 records for Charles Shaw's born in 1805 in Stockport,Cheshire. Seems to be the same Charles though but mothers name is different on both..

Name:Charles Shaw
        Baptism/Christening Date:29 Sep 1805
        Baptism/Christening Place:THE TABERNACLE HILLGATE-INDEPENDENT,STOCKPORT,CHESHIRE,ENGLAND
        Father's Name:George Shaw
        Mother's Name:Shusanah
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number:C07688-1System Origin:England-ODMSource Film Number:20050Reference Number:

Name:Charles Shaw
        Event Type:Baptism
        Birth Date:
        Birthplace:
        Christening Date:29 Sep 1805
        Christening Place:Stockport, Cheshire
        Father's Name:George Shaw
        Mother's Name:Sarah Shaw
        Record Set:RG4_0420
        Last edited by LaurenS1990; 14-01-11, 14:30.
        Lauren =)

Comment

Thanks Laruen ... I also found that thru 'FamilySearch' using the Batch No., but can't verify which George or go any further. Just too dang many shaws!
          Wishfull

Comment

i think it's the same person. it's quite easy to mishearr a mothers name.

Comment

Be aware that the Hillgate Tabernacle records were "circuit records" and the child may have been baptised anywhere in Lancashire or Cheshire. I have ancestors baptised there who lived in Darwen, Lancs. The circuit minister baptised where ever, but recorded the deed in the Hillgate records.

I hope that makes sense!

EDIT - There is sometimes more information on the original, mine said "of Darwen" which is how I knew they were mine
              OC
              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 15-01-11, 09:15. Reason: More info

Comment

1841 - occ mechanic

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 581; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Manchester; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 42; Page: 29; Line: 14; GSU roll: 438733.

presumably Elizabeth dies after the 1851 census as Charles states widow from here until his death.

1851- occupation Mechanic

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2155; Folio: 407; Page: 16; GSU roll: 87130-87131.

1861 -occ baker emp 2 men and 1 boy

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2927; Folio: 5; Page: 3; GSU roll: 543051.

1871- occupation Baker

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4044; Folio: 124; Page: 2; GSU roll: 846335.

1881 - occupation retired baker

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4013; Folio: 39; Page: 20; GSU roll: 1341958.
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 15-01-11, 10:09.
                Julie

Comment

presumably you have Charles & Elizabeths marriage? do the witness' names help at all ?
                  Julie

Comment

I had 1841-1881 census and death in 1887, living with his dau Eliza and Maria on 60 Varley St. Do not have Marriage Cert or Ref.
                    You People are great. Have to go Wine tasting today up the coast with BIL from Australia. Will check back this eve.
                    Wishfull

Comment

aha.. I have found Marias bapt: https://www.familysearch.org/s/recor...6iYku8TUc%253D

parents:Charles Shaw, Elizabeth Pearson
                      record title:England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8)
                      name:Maria Shaw
                      event type:Baptism/christening date:06 Dec 1829
                      christening place:Stockport, Cheshire
                      record set:RG4_0420
                      Julie

Comment

I will have a look for their marriage, it is possibly around the time of Marias birth so you wont get a cert as civil registrartion didnt start until july quarter 1837. (it should be in the parish records though :smilee: )
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Wishfull Thinker View Post
                          I had 1841-1881 census and death in 1887, living with his dau Eliza and Maria on 60 Varley St. Do not have Marriage Cert or Ref.
                          You People are great. Have to go Wine tasting today up the coast with BIL from Australia. Will check back this eve.
                          Wishfull
                          I rather like the idea of having to go to a wine tasting... ;)

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

rightio:

Charles Shaw - Elizabeth Pearson

marriage:18 May 1829 — Cheadle, Cheshire, England

this was taken from Cheshire Bishops Transcripts, via www.familysearch.org

they had 5 children bapt with the Hillgate Tabernacle

Maria bapt: 16 Dec 1829
                            Eliza bapt: 16 March 1831
                            Thomas bapt: 27 Jan 1833
                            James bapt: 17 May 1835 died. 17 July 1836
                            Nathaniel bapt: 06 Nov 1836
                            Julie

Comment

Darksecretz ... I don't know what reply to make ... seem to be selecting the wrong one:
                              <-- Reply ?
                              <-- Quick Reply ?
                              Post Quick Reply ? Think this is the selection I shhould use.

Oh, Shusanna is "Shusanah" my mistake.
                              Wishful

Comment

to reply to this thread, or any, place cursor in the 'quick reply' box at the bottom and type.. then 'post quick reply' if you want to add smilies :smilee: like these :D then you need to use the 'go advanced' button which is next to the 'post quick reply' button.. hope this helps :D :Wink:
                                Julie

Comment

I take it that you are down under? if you have an LDS centre near to where you live, you can order the films of Parish records to view at one of the LDS centres, once you have got your film you can go back and use it for quite a while, as I think that the 'loan' can last for 3 months.. but dont quote me..
                                  Julie

Comment

Darksecretz ... thanks, you have been a big help. Close ... Worked in Western Australia, married a girl from Perth. Roots are in So. Calif. (Left Coast)
                                    and her Twin Bro and wife are visiting this month from perth.
                                    Went Down to a Mormon Center near Hollywood a few years ago, but did not have too much luck. Will check on the LDS.
                                    wishful

Comment

no probs.. if you have any problems just shout up.. someone will generally be about to help :D ooooohhh in US? well you should have plenty of centres there then :Wink:
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X