Family Tree Maker Version 4 and files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker Version 4 and files

Hi folks, I recently tried to reload my Family Tree software. I have Version 4. That loaded fine but when I tried to load what I thought was my backup (FTW files) I had no luck.

The old files were on a computer that crashed. My new computer is a 64 bit processor. I don't know if that matters.

I had a ton of work in the old stuff. My back up is dated 2006 so it has been a while since I updated.

I may have some files saved on my laptop. I need to do some checking.

Any help out there?

As you realise Family Tree Maker v4 is a very old version indeed!
    You say your new computer is a 64 bit processor - are you running Windows 7 as well?

I really think your only option is to upgrade to the newer version of Family Tree maker which is version 2011. I cannot believe that version 4 would be compatible with a 64 bit processor, in fact I don't think even the later versions from 2005/2006 are.

You will find that one of the best buys at the moment for FTM2011 is the Platinum package from Amazon which costs £29.99 and comes with a six month free Premium subscription to Ancestry. Another place to buy the same package is via Tesco Club Card points, where I think it costs about £20.

As to your old files. I am not sure if FTM2011 will be able to import directly from version 4, so I think an option might be to import the version 4 files into Family Tree version 2005 or 2006 and then once you have them in that version, to import them into the newer 2011 version. I have Family Tree Maker 2006 and 2011 on my computer so if you want any help with this then please contact me by personal message.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the help. I do have an old maching that I should be able to load the software into available. If everything works I am hoping this weekend I can at least get it running. Maybe there is a file format there I can utilize. I will keep the forum posted and send you a note when I need help. I am running Windows 7 on the new computer.

Comment

I would still recommend that you upgrade your software. There really is very little support for any FTM versions prior to 2005.
        If you can get the old software installed on another machine and open your files, then the best way to transfer them to a newer style program is via a GEDCOM file.
        Export a GEDCOM file from FTM version 4 and import into something like FTM 2011.
        Elaine

Comment

FTM V4 file conversion required

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          I would still recommend that you upgrade your software. There really is very little support for any FTM versions prior to 2005.
          If you can get the old software installed on another machine and open your files, then the best way to transfer them to a newer style program is via a GEDCOM file.
          Export a GEDCOM file from FTM version 4 and import into something like FTM 2011.
          Hi Elain,

You appear to be somewhat of an expert in the area of old FTM!!

I created a tree in V4 under windows 98 and now many years later cannot open in in Windows 7 (what a surprise?). Can I get my files (number something in the order of 45) converted to a more recent version of FTM somehow by someone offering this service?

Thanks

Hamid

Comment

It's possible that these may open using FTM2005 or FTM2006 if you had a copy. I'll send you a PM (personal message) - check your Notifications tab at top right of page.
            Elaine

Comment

[QUOTE=Elaine ..Spain;2186313]
              I really think your only option is to upgrade to the newer version of Family Tree maker which is version 2011. I cannot believe that version 4 would be compatible with a 64 bit processor, in fact I don't think even the later versions from 2005/2006 are.

I am still using version 2006 on a Windows 7 64 Bit PC and all I did was use the XP patch. It works fine, thank goodness as I prefer to use this version than the newer ones.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have been using Version 4.0 since it first came out and have successfully used it with all flavours of OS from Win95 to the present day, currently Win7 64-bit without any problems reading FTW files. I must admit that, lately, the thought has crossed my mind to upgrade to 2012, but the question I ask myself will the upgrade upgrade a version as old as 4.0, or does one have to purchase the full version? Maybe I should wait wait until my subscription to Ancestry.co.uk runs out, and that is some way off yet.

John

Comment

Working...
                X