Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you go from here ? Modern Australian research....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you go from here ? Modern Australian research....

I have to admit I am flummoxed :o

Here is the family >>>>

Harold Cain-Smith born c 1912 (Liverpool) / died NSW 1978 aged 67
    married
    Beryl L Barrett in Katoomba 1935

Beryl wasnt from England -she was originally from OZ or NZ

They had 2 children,one girl,one boy
    Can only remember the boy
    Harold B Smith born c 1945 (give or take a few years) -known as Barry
    Girls name not known.

The family lived in the Pennant Hills area
    Last contact was in the 1970's when Harolds(snr) brother died in 1975 -he was John Patrick Smith (also born Liverpool -joined Merchant Navy and Oz army -) His death was registered Manly NSW.

Harold Cain- Smith invented a breaking valve that was patented and his son Carried on the patent right through to at least the 1970's.

Barry and his mother seem to have disappeared of the face of the earth

Resourses used so far
    NSW bmd
    Ryerson Index
    Googled for names worldwide
    Looked up in rootsweb,genes and ancestry
    concentrated on beryl l barrett because this is the least common name
    No death found at all.
    Finding her death I thought would lead me to the son...

You haven't mentioned Trove - the Australian newspaper archives. Free OCR-searchable. But possibly not up to a late enough date.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ok cheers i have searched the Sydney Morning herald site though !...although the archives relate from 1990 onwards.

Comment

I spotted a Beryl BARRETT as bridesmaid in an article in The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) Monday 29 July 1935 p3/18.

You'd need to have a look to see if any other names might be relevant.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a wedding for a Beryl BARRETT - but the wrong groom - in 1927.

Christine

Comment

Im happy with the marriage Ive found in 1935 - also happy with Harolds death in 1978 -its from 1978 onwards where it all goes blank.:( I even contacted the solicitors that handled some family business in the seventies and they said the papers would be destroyed by now .

Comment

It's always possible that Beryl remarried after her husband died, but the NSW BDM index only goes up to 1960 for marriages.

If you get Harold senior's death cert, it should give the names and ages of the children of the marriage. Maybe the daughter's name will help. The marriage cert of Harold and Beryl will give her age and birthplace, and her parents' names, which might help to find her death, but only if it's before 1980, when the index ends.

Comment

Do you have either of the death certs (for Harold sr or jr)? If so, where were they buried? We could check to see if Beryl's buried there too.

Comment

Harold Cain Smith appears on the 1954 electoral roll on Ancestry living in the Parramatta district, NSW. There is also a Beryl Louise Smith living in that district, but I don't have access to the image so can't see if they are living together or not. Harold Cain Smith doesn't appear on the earlier rolls, but Beryl Louise Smith appears in 1936 (North Sydney district), 1943 (Watson district) and 1949 (Kingsford Smith district). There is however a Harold Smith (no middle name) in each of these districts at those years - but once again, you would need to check the images to see if they were together.

At least that would confirm her middle name, if that's them!

Comment

Possible on the Ryerson Index:

SMITH Beryl Louisa Death notice 06JUN1993 Death Sydney Morning Herald 09JUN1993

Comment

There's also a Beryl Louise Smith listed in Castle Hill, NSW on this website (gives phone number and address):

(Note: Castle Hill is right next door to Pennant Hills!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                        Harold Cain Smith appears on the 1954 electoral roll on Ancestry living in the Parramatta district, NSW. There is also a Beryl Louise Smith living in that district, but I don't have access to the image so can't see if they are living together or not.
                        Yes, they're living at the same address: 36 Victoria Street.

Comment

yes the electoral record must be them -they both affected double barelled names in life although neither Harold nor beryl were born that way - Harold adopted the name Cain but his siblings did not -it relates to us being descended from Robert cain as in Cains Brewery in Liverpool.Beryl liked to be known as Beryl Barrett-Smith.
                          I would be surprised if she remarried but it is a possibility -I recall the possibility that she was older than Harold -she would have been possibly 70ish when Harold died in 1978.
                          I saw that last entry in the ryerson Index - its possibly her and the middle name is pretty close -I had noticed that Harolds death was wrongly recorded by the family in that John was given as the deceased fathers first name when in fact it was also Harold.
                          The son born in the 1940's was also harold but called himself Barry -this Im certain is his middle name.

Comment

ive had another bash at this and found a post from 2006 on genes where I asked for help - we found an obscure link to the invention/patent and the name on the file dated 1985 was neither the father or son -it was a frances ann burke -I concluded at the time that this was the daughter - my mum must have known the first name to confirm this at the time.
                            It may be a coincidence but Ive found someone with the name frances burke who is a member of a womens writer society in NSW and an article with the same name in 2009 about traffic problems in the Penant Hills area -writer says they are from West Epping -this is where Harold(her father) was registered for his death.

Comment

There's a marriage for Frances Anne Smith to James Vincent Burke in Parramatta in 1959:

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

Comment

thats got to be her Mary - the net is closing !!!!

Comment

Ive found a jv burke registered in west epping (the district that a frances burke lists as her area on a forum recently) - very close to Harolds area of Pennant Hills - this has to be eliminated from my enquiries before moving on - smith and burke are not unusual names but it looks promising.

Comment

Ive found them -well done folks

The key to this was the 1959 marriage - this info was not available 5 years ago when I last looked.
                                    The patent document gave us the married name which was a stroke of luck - and when the same name and district associated with Harold senior was found with her then there was a strong chance.
                                    I phoned Frances today and she was delighted and astonished -the last contact made was in the 1970's .....her brother -the elusive Barry lives in Tasmania.

Heres the twist though -when I was last researching in 2006 Frances actually came over to England and visited Chester which is 5 miles from where my mum lives (Frances cousin). !!

Comment

Well done

Comment

Oh! Great News!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X