Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Advice Please - WW1

Hi

I have had a very successful search over the last few days, using ancestry, to obtain some records for Thomas Poole b 1893 who was initially in the Essex Regiment and then seemed to transfer to the Gloucester Regiment. He was a sniper and I know that he was hit by an enemy sniper and lay in the trenches in France for 3 days, being gassed, before he was picked up and taken to wherever. I also know that he spent some time Bristol in hospital recuperating. What I would like to find is the actual detail of his military record, where he went, what else he did etc but have no absolutely no idea where to search. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in anticipation.

Are his service records on Ancestry- these often contain details of where a soldier has served.
    Elaine

Comment

You may be able to find out more if you can get copies of the Regimental diary for the relevant period. If he wasn't an officer, then it's unlikely that his name will be mentioned explicitly, but you'll find out where the regiment went and what it was doing.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Gill D,

I've just found a thread on the Great War Forum about Thomas.....It may be you that put it there but just incase it wasn't you here is the link:

Do you have Thomas's service number?

Ness

Comment

Hi Gill D,

As I say you may be the original poster of these threads on the GWF but just incase I have found two more threads by the same person as above about Thomas, here are the links:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...1&#entry446954

Post number 8 on the link below is interesting....could this be him? If it is then there is a 35 page service record on Ancestry for him & also his Medal card.

Ohh I just realised this is my 100 post!
          Last edited by jadzia; 11-01-11, 21:23. Reason: added a bit
          Ness

Comment

There's a searchable database of Glos Regiment men here which will probably give his battalion. This is what you'd need to look at the appropriate War Diaries

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

There's a searchable database of Glos Regiment men here
              You should be aware that this database is far from complete, and if the person you are looking for is not on the database it is very unlikely that the Regiment will have any information about him (that's been my experience, anyway).

scuda
              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. The posts mentioned above are mine and reading them through I realised how much I had forgotten I had found out! Poor record keeping again. Someone said that they had found 35 pages of records regarding Thomas on ancestry but I can find only about 10 so could you let me have the link. thanks all again for your tremendous help, even if only to remind me what I had forgotten. Age you know ....

Comment

Hi Gill D,

I'm glad I was able to help jog your memory & it turned out to be your Thomas ;D

Here's the link for the ancestry records:

It says there are 35 images, having said that they may not all have something on them. Have you got Thomas's Medal card off Ancestry?

Just a thought but it maybe worth trying another posting on the GWF now you have Thomas's service numbers & more information about him as they should be able to tell you a fair bit more with the information you now have.

I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to look yet at the link annswabey provided but Thomas is listed on there & there is a further link on there to make a request to commission further research on him, I believe there may be a charge for the further research though.

Last edited by jadzia; 13-01-11, 09:39. Reason: Added a bit
                  Ness

Comment

Working...
                  X