Strathclyde Genealogy Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Strathclyde Genealogy Centre

I will be visting the S.G.C. in Glasgow this week and probably next. They have basically all the Scottish BDM and Census records. Willing to do a couple of searches.

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
    I will be visting the S.G.C. in Glasgow this week and probably next. They have basically all the Scottish BDM and Census records. Willing to do a couple of searches.
    I would be very grateful if you could look up:

Thomas Johnston 1871 birth district Bathgate county Linlithgow (ref RD:662/01). Parents were George Johnston and Mary Mclean. A relative had this information but unfortunately part of the printout has faded!

also

Thomas Johnstone who, according to FamilySearch.org was born 1 July 1870 (although, of course, this may be the christening date) at Tradeston, Glasgow, Lanark. His father's name was George and mother's name Mary K Kelly.

Thanking you in advance.

born in a pub

Comment

Going again on Friday, will let you know what I find.

Comment

Hi are you still able to do searches?? If so please could you look at these Births for me in the Old Parish records.

Birth - 27/01/1849 Baptism -03/02/1849 MCDONALD JOHN - Parents DANIEL MCDONALD/MARY CRUMING M DUMBARTON, ST PATRICK'S

Birth - 21/02/1858 Baptism -28/02/1858 MCDONALD JOHN - Parents DANIEL MCDONALD/MARY DICKSON M DUMBARTON, ST PATRICK'S

looking for any other details that may be in the records and whether its the same Daniel.

Thank you

Teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa View Post
          Hi are you still able to do searches?? If so please could you look at these Births for me in the Old Parish records.

Birth - 27/01/1849 Baptism -03/02/1849 MCDONALD JOHN - Parents DANIEL MCDONALD/MARY CRUMING M DUMBARTON, ST PATRICK'S

Birth - 21/02/1858 Baptism -28/02/1858 MCDONALD JOHN - Parents DANIEL MCDONALD/MARY DICKSON M DUMBARTON, ST PATRICK'S

looking for any other details that may be in the records and whether its the same Daniel.

Thank you

Teresa
          Teresa,
          Will do. Not sure if all the RC records are listed but I know some have been added in the last ew months. So happens I live in Dumbarton so if I don't find anything at SGC I can ask at the church.

Comment

That would be wonderful,
            thank you.

Teresa

Comment

Found this:
              Thomas Johnston b. 28/02/1871, The D???? Parish of Bathgate. Father George - Ploughman. Mother Mary Ann ms McLean. Married 28/06/1869 in Mid Calder. Ref. No. 622/1 61 Bathgate.

George Johnston aged 29 married Mary K. Kelly on 16/07/1867 in Anworth. George is described as Police Constable formerly Farm Servant, living at 56 ?? Street, Dumfries. Mary is aged 34 and living at ??land, Parish of Anworth, Kirkcudright. Ref. No. 855/00 5 Kirkcidbright.

George Johnston aged 22 married Mary McLean aged 20 on 02/07/1869 (United Presbyterian Church)at Mid Calder. George is a labourer at a Shale Oil Works, usual address Livingtone/ Linlithgowshire. Mary is a Domestic Servant. George's parents are: father ???? (deceased), mother Elizabeth ms Tweedsdale??
              Mary's parents are: John (coal miner), mother ??? ms Hendry. Ref. No. 694/00 5 Mid Calder.

Thomas JohnstonE b. 01?/07/1870 at 22 ??? Street, Glasgow Father George: Railway ?? ??? ??, Mother Mary Kirkpatrick Kelly, thery married on 16/07/1867 in ???land?? Ref.No. 644/9 1043 Tradeston, Glasgow.

On the ScotlandPeoples site there is a facility for requesting a better image and for asking for an opinion of what is transcribed. The SGC does not have this. Some of the images are hard to make out hence the ???

Comment

Thank you

Teresa
                The birth for John McDonald b. 27/01/1849 is not on the SGC records. Had a look on Scotlandspeople website when I got home and it is there under "Catholic Registers - Dumbarton St. Patricks".

John McDonald b. 21/02/1858 did find a birth cert. for this but gives parents as Daniel McDonald (Labouer ??) and Mary Dickson living at High Street Dumbarton. Ref. No. 496/00 61.

Found a marriage for Daniel MacDonald married Mary Crummy on 18/09/1847 in Parish Church Bonhill (thats only a few miles outside Dumbarton)
                Ref. No. 493/00 Bonhill Parish.

Comment

Thank you for looking Bearger, Daniel was the brother of my 2X great grandfather John McDonald who died in 1860's.
                  The marriage of Daniel to Mary Crummy is the right one, I've tried tracking daniel down but the name doesn't help - in 1886 (on his mothers poor relief application) he's still alive married to a cripple address unknown. Think I'll leave daniel on hold for now!!

As you live in Dumbarton would you know if the local records office there has burial registers for the catholic church - St Patricks?

Teresa

Comment

Thank you very much for this lookup. It has helped me decide which George Johnston is the correct one. Thank you also for the info about ScotlandPeoples site having a facility for requesting a better image.

Comment

Thank you for looking Bearger, Daniel was the brother of my 2X great grandfather John McDonald who died in 1860's.
                      The marriage of Daniel to Mary Crummy is the right one, I've tried tracking daniel down but the name doesn't help - in 1886 (on his mothers poor relief application) he's still alive married to a cripple address unknown. Think I'll leave daniel on hold for now!!

As you live in Dumbarton would you know if the local records office there has burial registers for the catholic church - St Patricks?

Teresa

Comment

Working...
                      X