Certificate for Marriage without Licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certificate for Marriage without Licence

I have no idea why such a certificate should be issued. The e-mailed copy of one I've seen looks normal enough except the Marriage is in a Synagogue and "entry of notice" is 4th May 1891 whilst "Certificate given" is 26th May 1891..(Almost Banns).
    I've tried to Google the Title without result. For academic purposes, I would like to understand more on the subject if anyone can help.

Marriage by Certificate is the normal procedure for a marriage which is not performed in a C of E church, but is going to be performed by an authorised person other than a Registrar - in this case by a Rabbi in a Synagogue.

It is instead of Banns being read and the certificate is issued by the local Registrar after he enters the "notice to marry" in his notices book and displays publicly the couple's intent to marry (a notice just inside the door of the Register Office normally).

Without licence means a licence is not necessary because the couple are known to the authorised person and live in the district.

I have quite a few marriage by certificate because my family were nonconformist and married mostly in either Methodist chapels or other noncon places of worship.

OC

Comment

is this of any help?

Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Mike

The link you have given is to the religious part of a Jewish marriage, not the civil part which is what AlanC is querying - he has a cert from the civil registry, not a synagogue marriage allegation (which is very useful if your ancestors were Jewish because it has additional family info on it).

OC

EDIT - Alan, yes, sort of like banns really! Jewish marriages can be performed anywhere, including private homes so there is no fixed place to display notice of intent to marry and nowhere to call banns, so the local Registrar does it by putting up a notice in his office.
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-01-11, 10:40. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

This helps to explain marriage by licence, by certificate, by banns etc http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certifi...iages.htm#COL9
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

With thanks to OC & Little Nell...................just need to digest it because I'm having difficulty getting my head round "Marriage without Certificate"..........it's an age thing!!

Comment

The penny is beginning to drop. Fascinating stuff with all the Marriage possibilities, possible subject for the 'Magazine'

Comment

Working...
              X