Dennis / Boreham Families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis / Boreham Families

I am having trouble trying to trace the relatives of Philip Charles Harry Dennis (b.1913) and his wife Kathleen Ada Boreham (b. 1911), both are from Romford, Essex and were married in 1936. They had two children J P Dennis (b.1949) in Dorset and June Rosaline Dennis (b.1937, now deceased) in Romford.

Philip's father was called John (b. 1887 in Hammersmith, London) and was a postman around the Romford area at the time Philip was born, he was married to Alice Mary Wright (b.1890) in 1912.

John's father's name was Charles (b. 1858) and from the information I have found, seems he was born in Cawnpore, India. Charles was married to Eliza Banham (b.1856) who came from Needham, Suffolk.

The above people are relatives that I have never met due to my family's stupidity and I would dearly love to get some information to add to my family tree that I am researching.

Can anyone help at all
    Last edited by PDennis; 08-01-11, 21:00.

There's a Charles DENNIS b 28 Nov 1798 in India and there's some reference to this "Asst-Surg. 1821". This info is on the British Library India Office Family History Search: http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello and welcome to Family Tree Forum,

do you have any certificates to prove your findings at all? have you the families on any census at all? (this is presuming of course that you are trying to work backwards and not forwards) :smilee:
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The 1798 Charles is too old and being an Assistant Surgeon, although it would be nice to have one in the family tree isn't correct.

Charles was a Journeyman Baker for most of his life it seems, at the time of his son John's marriage to Alice Mary Wright in 1880, he was included on the marriage certificate with the profession of a Stoker and also deceased.

Comment

I am trying to work backwards, I have Philip Dennis' birth certificate, so have father John and mother Alice's name, I have the marriage certificate of John and Alice which gives me the father's name of both. I have the death certificate for both Eliza and Charles along with the birth certificate of a daughter Florence to double check that she had the same parents as John. I have various copies from the census' which for Charles only starts in 1881 after he marries Eliza.

The thing with Charles is that he married Eliza as Fitz Dennis not Charles and on Eliza's death certificate it quotes her as being the widow of Fitzpatrick Dennis, very strange to me.

Comment

do you have an ancestry sub?

have you seen this one in 1861? Charles F Dennys

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 677; Folio: 9; Page: 12; GSU roll: 542683
            Julie

Comment

presumably you have had a look in FIBIS? to see if that helps?

Julie

Comment

I did check out all the Charles Dennis' that came up on Ancestry and the British Library India website but could find only the one (Fitz or Charles) married to Eliza Banham from Needham, Suffolk, I worked backwards from Eliza to find her relatives and her marriage to Charles. I have tried various ways to see make sure I had the right ancestors and they all came back to Fitz and Eliza, so I am totally stuck as I can't seem to get any contact with living relatives and the ones that have Eliza, her father etc., don't have any information on her, I guess I keep getting hold of the wrong branch.

Comment

Yes, been on Fibis, been to Find My Past, Philip was in the army in World War 2 but can't find any information on that either from Forces websites. Oooh it's frustrating.

Comment

mm I can bet it is, I have found thier marriage and it states he is a baker, and like you say he is named as Fitz, father John Dennis dec'd occ Soldier.

Julie

Comment

s'pose you have tried Trade directories?
                      Julie

Comment

I can place Charles (Fitz) right up to 1903 when he died, but nothing before 1880 with either name. Unless by some act of fate, like being able to afford a researcher, I may never find out about him and that of course means my ancestry of the Dennis' end with him.

Comment

I am not that sure that even a professional researcher would be able to access anything any different to us, I am at the moment looking at possible passenger lists for you
                          Julie

Comment

I would hope that the researcher, if I could afford that person would be able to delve into the India side of Charles (Fitzpatrick) Dennis and find me some information that would give me his parents and the possible reason for name change.

Comment

I am a member of the India mailing list and I am sure if info is to be found for the India question then they will help with it http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...IND/INDIA.html

Edna

Comment

How do I use it, I always have trouble with web-sites like this one

Comment

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...=recordResults Dennis births India

Edna

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Dennis marriages in India

Edna

Comment

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...=recordResults

Dennis Burials in India

I hope this may give you a bit of luck but may take a bit of a trawl on each
                                      I have posted them all seperatley so I dont confuse you.

The India List on Rootsweb, just copy and paste the link to India L into an e mail and add the words subscribe, then once you are accepted you can send off a message asking your questions.
                                      You will receive e mails from everyone that do not concern your request ,but thats how it works so just open each e mail and read.

Edna
                                      INDIA-L-request@rootsweb.com with the single word subscribe in the message subject and body
                                      Last edited by clematised; 09-01-11, 22:45. Reason: addition

Comment

Edna

Tried emailing to the email address, came back as:-

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error.

Don't know why that happened, didn't like me I guess for some reason, so going in via the website, wish me luck.

Found admin email address, they might forward it on - Nope that was rejected as well, same message as above.
                                        Last edited by PDennis; 10-01-11, 13:57. Reason: additions

Comment

Working...
                                        X