How Likely is it? Could this be him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Likely is it? Could this be him?

Hi all, I think it’s possible I may have found my Thomas Able, I thought his surname was Barret. I’m now thinking Able was his surname & not his middle name as I’d first thought & here‘s why:

In my exton parish records I have the following:

27 Oct 1811 ALICE BARRET D/O SUSANNA/THOMAS ABLE (child was born in Exton)

If the childs parents were unmarried but the childs father was known how likely would it be for the fathers name to be on the parish record but the child to still have got it’s surname from the mother? Did they do that back in those days? They did have another child prior to the one above but he is on the parish records as:

15 Nov 1807 THOMAS BARRET S/O ABEL/SUSANNAH (child was born in Exton)

The other Barret/Barratt children born before the two above are just listed as S/O of Susannah (with no father listed) and one has base born written next to it, I think this means illegitimate.

On the IGI the father was listed as Thomas Abel Barratt (although I can no longer find this record ) so I have been looking for ‘Thomas Able Barratt’ but have not found him BUT on the IGI last night I found a Thomas Abel listed as being born in Thistleton, Rutland, England. It’s got me thinking this may be him…he was born 3 years before Susannah so in the right age group etc. The only other Thomas Abel I have found in Rutland is his father.

Does anyone know if its possible to get hold of a CD with the parish records for Thistleton, Rutland, England? I have records for 31 Rutland parishes but not that parish.

Many thanks
    Last edited by jadzia; 08-01-11, 10:18.
    Ness

Hi Vanessa - my Trigg family came from Thistleton in Rutland too. I would think that you could order a film from LDS for Thistleton - there is only the one church there, we visited when we were last over. Records are held at the Leicester Records office - we visited there too in order to check out a Removal Order.

I haven't done any Trigg research for a while - but I know it was easy to just 'take a walk' around the village in the various census as it was so small.

Just to add that when we looked through the Removal and Bastardy Orders etc they seemed to be always chasing up any errant fathers to make them pay - so yes I would imagine that if the vicar knew who the father was then he would have entered it in the baptism record.

Comment

Very likely, I would say. Vicars went to a great deal of trouble to name the fathers of illegitimate children, for the reasons Val has stated above.

Surnames are not fixed, you can call yourself anything you want to. In those days, many illegitimate children would have the name of their father as their middle name with their mother's surname tacked on the end. This tradition went on into civil registation well into the late 1800s and was a good work around the legal issues of not being able to name a father unless he was present at registration.

OC

Comment

.....and Vanessa - just to confirm what OC was saying - my G.Grandfather - born in Thistleton - was illegitimate and was given the name of William Offield Trigg. He was born on Christmas Day 1852 - I then discovered his mother working in Thistleton as a farm servant in the 1851 census alongside a Job Offield. In such a small village I am convinced that Job Offield was his father - as was, I am sure, the vicar who baptised him.
        I can never be 100% certain - but close enough I think to close the book on in this instance.

Comment

I notice that Thistleton bapts and marriages to 1812 are in the IGI and the last baptism entry is
          Susannah Exton dau of Thomas & Mary 06 SEP 1773(this is an extraction)

Christening:
          15 NOV 1807 Exton, Rutland, England
          Parents:
          Father: ABEL BARRET Family
          Mother: SUSANNAH

This is an LDS Submission and they seem to have got things mixed up .
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you Val & OC, I may be on the right track with this one then. I think as you say Val I could order a film from LDS & see what that has to offer. I hadn’t heard of Removal and Bastardy Orders before I wonder if I can access them online at all as I am in New Zealand and it’s a bit too far to go to the parish?

Mike, Thank you...I had forgotten you could look directly for a parish on the IGI in that way. I’ll go & have a look.

Thanks all
            Ness

Comment

Working...
            X