Elizabeth Ethel Ward marriage help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Ethel Ward marriage help

Hi I am looking to see if anyone can help find the marriage of my great grandmother's sister Elizabeth Ethel Ward. There were other siblings but Elizabeth is the only one known to my dad - he met her when he was young but didn't know if she was married or who to.

I know from information received from the Children's Society that Elizabeth (my dad knew her as Ethel) was born on 30th November 1893 in West Ham. I know in 1911 she was employed as a servant I think in a place called Forest Gate which I think is in Newham. Unfortunately I don't know anything else.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steven

I'd say this is a mammoth task.

A possible technique:
    1] Look for possible/likely marriages (check which reg district includes Forest Hill, for instance).
    2] Look for deaths which are compatible in each case with the married surname and the DoB.
    3] Hope there aren't too many death & marriage certs, and you can afford to buy enough to work out which is yours.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thought it was too much of a long shot Christine thanks

Steven

Comment

forest gate is in west ham reg district, so i would start looking for marriages and deaths in that area.

Comment

there's an elizabeth e. ward marriage to arthur e. smith marriage 1922 west ham.
          an elizabeth e. ward married a gamble in 1918 west ham, im having trouble finding the spouse details.

Comment

no elizabeth e. smith or gamble died after 1984, so she must have died between 1922-1984, if either of those are her.

Comment

Thanks kylejustin I think she must have died pre 1984 as I have never heard of her or met her.

Looks like a couple of possibilities and family looks to have stayed around the Wet Ham area

Can I ask a wee favour that you give me the volume and page numbers so that I might order the certificates - I know her father so I could prove if a certificate is right

Great help and thank you

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                Thanks kylejustin I think she must have died pre 1984 as I have never heard of her or met her.

Looks like a couple of possibilities and family looks to have stayed around the Wet Ham area

Can I ask a wee favour that you give me the volume and page numbers so that I might order the certificates - I know her father so I could prove if a certificate is right

Great help and thank you

Steven
                Those should show up on FreeBMD... they do. http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

sorry, yes they are from freebmd, and findmypast. ancestry has the deaths, but findmypast doesnt, so i can't search for pre 1984 deaths on findmypast

Comment

What is the name of Elizabeth Ethels father ?
                    Nina

Comment

In 1911 what does Elizabeth Ethel give as her name and age please? I can't find her under Elizabeth.
                      I am wondering you see whether she knew her actual birth date. I have crossed checked loads of Elizabth Ethel deaths born 30/11/1893 without success.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                        What is the name of Elizabeth Ethels father ?
                        Charles William Ward

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          In 1911 what does Elizabeth Ethel give as her name and age please? I can't find her under Elizabeth.
                          I am wondering you see whether she knew her actual birth date. I have crossed checked loads of Elizabth Ethel deaths born 30/11/1893 without success.
                          1911 Census - Elizabeth Ward Age 17

Comment

Thanks Steven There are so many Wards' it's impossible to guess
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It could be worse Chrissie my other side are Smiths!!!!!

In 1901 the family are all together
                              Charles the father age 32 - engine driver
                              Clara the mother age 31
                              Elizabeth age 7 birth place West Ham
                              Isabella (Isabel my great grandmother) age 6 birth place West Ham
                              Charley age 5 also West Ham
                              Rose age 4 also West Ham

No sign of the other sibling Mabel

Steven

Comment

In 1911 @ 14 Palmerston Road, Forest Gate, West Ham. Elizabeth WARD. age 17, b. 1894 West Ham,Essex. is a General Domestic Servant to widow Mary Kate MORAN.

Elizabeth E WARD
                                1922 Marriage to SMITH Arthur E.
                                District West Ham.
                                Oct/Nov/Dec Vol 4A Page 459

Is there just a death to find now ? ...... Shame about the Smith - you are lucky I have Smiths and Jones' in my tree !

Nina

Comment

May as well throw this Birth Registration into the pot as well -

Ward Elizabeth E.
                                  West Ham, Essex
                                  Jan/Feb/Mar
                                  Vol 4A Page 8

has anyone found a christening ?

Comment

Thanks Nina I am wondering if Chrissie was right when she said Elizabeth wasn't sure of her date of birth. Her sister (my great grandmother) was born on 27th December 1894 so if right it must have been early in 1894 to allow for nine months between the sisters.

What is it with Ward's marrying Smiths - my great grandmother married a Solomon Smith!!!!! Luckily with the Smiths my great grandfather was Solomon as was is father which helped me trace them goodness knows what I would have done if they had been called Robert like my dad

Thanks so much for your help Nina - the only strange thing is according to the Childrens Society her date of birth was 30th November 1893 and baptised in November 1893

Steven

Comment

Her birth in November 1893 could easily have been registered in the following quarter, Jan, Feb, March 1894. My grandfather was born on 29 May 1900 but his birth wasn't registered until the July, August September quarter of that year.
                                      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks Sue never thought of that - must be her too much of a coincidence

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                        X