FTM 2006 thinking of updating to latest one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2006 thinking of updating to latest one

I have all my tree entered into the 2006 version, I was thinking of updating but do Ihave to re-enter all the info again? I have just bought a new lap top and it is not very impressed with the 2006 version, although it loads it keeps coming up with an error message which I have now told the computer not to show me again LOL!!
    KAREN xx

There is no need to re-enter all your information. The new version of Family Tree Maker (2011) will open any files created with earlier versions.
    The best buy for FTM at the moment is the Platinum edition from Amazon which costs £29.99 and comes with a 6 month free sub to Ancestry - or you can get the same package for about £20 using Tesco Clubcard points.

A word of warning .... the new version has a very different layout compared to the 2006 version.
    Elaine

Comment

Ah thanks Elaine..........Mmmm is it not very user friendly then? and blast double blast have just renewed Ancestry Subscription LOL
      KAREN xx

Comment

It's user friendly but it will just take a bit of time to get used to it if you have been a user of the earlier versions of FTM.
        You don't have to activate the free subscription immediately - you activate it whenever you need it.
        Elaine

Comment

Oh thanks Elaine appreciate that xx
          KAREN xx

Comment

Karen,

what spec is your new laptop? is it a 32 bit or 64? and is it windows 7. I have recently got a new laptop and its 64 bit, it doesnt like my 2005 FTM at all. luckily I already had FTM2009, but I dont really like it that much. but its better than nothing.

I know that if you have the 32 bit there is a patch download for it to work under the newer OS, I have the 64 and atmo it doesnt work with 2005, so am having to re-learn where everything is in 2009!
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Don't forget that Ancestry provide video tutorials on FTM, so you can see how it works before you buy it

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Don't forget that Ancestry provide video tutorials on FTM, so you can see how it works before you buy it

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                X