Computer soooo slow , need help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer soooo slow , need help please

Been using Avast Antivirus for about 3 years and had absolutely no problems.

I downloaded the new version as prompted to, happens about twice a year, and ever since computer is VERY slow to load and sometimes even gets stuck and I have to start again.

It may be coincidence but does anyone know if my new updated version could cause this? I have run a full computer check and everything seems o.k. Done disk fragmenter, deleted temp. internet files and makes no difference

Thanks for any advice

Linda

mine is being slower than usual today ? have you got something like ccleaner ??? its briliiant its amazing what it finds and speeds the pc up ,there is a tutorial if you need it

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC. It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure! Download it FREE today.

Comment

I use Avast when students need to practice installing configuring PC security.
      I have found that the latest version really uses up a lot of system resources and so slows down PCs that are a low specification of memory and Processor speed.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Val....and Trevor......we have had this computer for about 8 years and were thinking of getting a new one so perhaps that's the answer.

Thanks for your help

Linda

Comment

Unfortunately, as virus writers create more clever types of virus, the antivirus software has to be more critical in the way it works, this means it uses more memory/processor power when it protects your system.
          So low spec systems will suffer, the same way it would if you tried to run memory hungry graphics or video applications.
          Also.......
          many of the 'free' antivirus, though effective ARE 'bloat ware' where they have extra programs attached to them that are not needed, but load in the background and so use up resources.

The worst of these I have found in the last couple of months is PANDA, it even has its own type of adware built in it (They are supposed to protect you from this!)
          It is scanning, considering, collecting and other functions all at the same time and drastically slows the system down.

Avest, as a download is vastly larger than the commercial programme of Mcaffe that you have to pay for And it slows the system down drastically.WHY??

I only use the free ones as teaching aids and have, for the last 8 years, always had Mcaffee on my three personal computers at home.
          Yes it requires an annual subscription, but it has never had problems with bloatware (Though the anti-spam application in it in 2009 was rubbish), no compatibality issues with any operating system and no noticeable reduction in the effectiveness of any of the PCs, these being:
          an old 6 yr old PC with low processor (1.3 Ghz) and memory (only 750MB) running Win XP, which is used for my backing up of laptop content and for my young son to use for games etc.
          A 4- yr old laptop (DELL) running Win XP, 1.3 Ghz processor and 1GB RAM which I use as a 'field' laptop when I visit record offices etc
          A new laptop running Win 7 and 2GB RAM

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
          X